Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need AC retrofit help from pros 90 Legacy 134a

Guest luffliffloaf

Hello need help from the experts. Speaking more on the behalf of my mechanic than me, as I don't do A/C work.

1990 Legacy LS NA auto. 85K miles. New reciever/dryer, new compressor, new condenser, oil, o rings, fittings, etc. Correctly converted to r134a as double checked per these instructions:

http://pub205.ezboard.com/fultimatesubarumessageboardsfrm6.showMessage?topicID=110.topic

Anyhow, it doesn't work. Blows warm. Couldn't find any leaks, system was vaccuumed correctly etc...

Are there any tricks? Quirks? Any other fittings that are prone to failure during the retrofit that we may be unaware of? Something specific to the 90-94 Legacies?

Thanks,

Loomis

Anyhow, it doesn't work. Blows warm.

Warm or Hot? If the engine is up to temperature does it blow warm or hot? You could have a situation where the the flapper that controls whether the air flows over the heater core or not it no longer being moved and is in fact stuck half open/closed, therefor heating the air being cooled by the AC and making it feel warm.

Keith

Guest luffliffloaf

Thanks for all the tips guys. Let me print this thread out and take it to my mechanic and see what he says. Will post reply later this week.

Thanks everyone!

Loomis

need more info as to what is not happening. clutch on? if so what are the pressures?

but the big question for me is why did you change it over? r12 is better

and still very available.

george

Hello need help from the experts. Speaking more on the behalf of my mechanic than me, as I don't do A/C work.

1990 Legacy LS NA auto. 85K miles. New reciever/dryer, new compressor, new condenser, oil, o rings, fittings, etc. Correctly converted to r134a as double checked per these instructions:

http://pub205.ezboard.com/fultimatesubarumessageboardsfrm6.showMessage?topicID=110.topic

Anyhow, it doesn't work. Blows warm. Couldn't find any leaks, system was vaccuumed correctly etc...

Are there any tricks? Quirks? Any other fittings that are prone to failure during the retrofit that we may be unaware of? Something specific to the 90-94 Legacies?

Thanks,

Loomis