Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spfi 86 Gl Wagon Would Not Start

I got this wagon brand new in 1986 and never gave any big problems just the normal stuff. Things like new belts, timing belts, starter, alternator but never a no start issue. The problems began after letting it parked under a tree for the last two years. This was wife's daily drive car. Now I will like to use it for fun and maybe do some new paint job or even custumize it a little but, no start. First thing is that it will not turn over from the key switch. What I'm doing is jump wire the pos. terminal of the starter to the pos. term of the battery with the key switch on acc. possition. Some times after doing this for a long while it will start , bad idling, lot of kind of white smoke and after maybe 5 minutes it dies and no start again. Check spark plugs and all are cover with some black stuff that can be easy wipe off with a cloth.

Anyone has any idea. I will love to have my baby back on the road smooth and strong as it was for the 14 some years of great service...Thank you guys in advance. :confused::confused::confused:

I assume you have a manual transmission in this car. If you have a automatic try starting the car in the neutral position to see if the starter will work then. If you get results there then check the neutral safety switch for a problem.

It seems you either have a problem with the ignition switch area or the solenoid in the starter is bad. I would get a test light and check the small lead connection to the solenoid on the starter. Hook up the test light with the cliplead to ground and the probe end to the small connection on the starter solenoid. When you turn the key to the start position the light should turn on. If it does, that means the ignition line area is ok and the problem is in the starter solenoid. Replacing the starter may be the easiest solution if that is the case.

If the light does not turn on then you need to check the ignition switch or wiring to the starter for a connection problem.

I assume you have a manual transmission in this car. If you have a automatic try starting the car in the neutral position to see if the starter will work then. If you get results there then check the neutral safety switch for a problem.

It seems you either have a problem with the ignition switch area or the solenoid in the starter is bad. I would get a test light and check the small lead connection to the solenoid on the starter. Hook up the test light with the cliplead to ground and the probe end to the small connection on the starter solenoid. When you turn the key to the start position the light should turn on. If it does, that means the ignition line area is ok and the problem is in the starter solenoid. Replacing the starter may be the easiest solution if that is the case.

If the light does not turn on then you need to check the ignition switch or wiring to the starter for a connection problem.

Thanks,will try that..let you know how did it go.