Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power steering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:52 AM

I've heard of people deleting their power steering. How do they do this? Just take the belt off and remove the pump?

#2 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:54 AM

BTW, who wants the parts? They'd be free + shipping, maybe to the most helpful person. PM me

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:01 AM

What are the PS parts from? I'll come pick them up and help you "delete" it if you like..... I'm only about 1.5 hours from you.

Basically, you just pull off the belt, and then you can either plug the lines for the rack, or put in a non-power rack from another car. I vote for finding a non-power rack from another EA82 - they turn nice - almost like having PS actually. But even with the power rack, and no belt you will still be able to turn it fairly easily. I ran this way on my lifted wagon for a time - even with the big tires it was managable.

GD

#4 subawoohoo

subawoohoo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • tucson

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:10 AM

I vote for finding a non-power rack from another EA82

haha only because YOU want his PS rack lol.

have fun with it, with cars this light we dont really need PS unless you have huge tires or rubber arms.

tyler.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,279 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:15 AM

Actaully I don't - I want his pump and lines - I'll take the rack for experimention if he's giving it away tho..... And I have driven a non-PS EA82. I could easily palm the wheel at a dead stop with 165-80R13's. They really do have a nice feel to them. Not very common tho. Most EA82's had PS.

Also there is the concern that the PS rack would not like having it's continous flow of fluid cut off after a time - certain parts of the rack are lubricated by the ATF, so having it just sitting in there might not be the best idea. I have run mine without the pump for short distances in the past and it was fine..... but then mine also recently died, so who knows.

GD

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:31 AM

I've heard of people deleting their power steering. How do they do this? Just take the belt off and remove the pump?

On my 88 GL wagon I pulled the whole pump off, the bracket from the block, all the silly lines and brackets down to the fittings on the steering rack at the main crossmember. I also removed the AC pump and all the stupid lines, fittings, canisters, condenser, etc etc etc. Had to get a new V belt then so I could run my alternator and water pump. Just measured it by running a string around where the belt would go and foud a belt at the parts store the same size loop (or close cuz the alternator swings over an inch)

Rack still works fine. I didn't even cap off the lines at the main crossmember where the fittings are wide open. Might be wise to cap those off but whatever floats your boat. I guess my steering rack likes muddy water and sand :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users