Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just have to complain about how lame it is to change spark plugs in my mom's 97 OBW with the 2.5!!!!! It must have taken me almost an hour to change the plugs and wires today. I can see why it had what were probably the same plugs that were in it when she bought the thing with 30,000 miles on it.

I'm gonna chuckle the next time I take the plugs out of my ea82:lol: . Don't kill me for saying it in this forum, but ya' gotta love the old school 'roos.

thats funny. i work on mercedes. got some engines that take over

three hours to replace the 12 sp plugs.

george

I just have to complain about how lame it is to change spark plugs in my mom's 97 OBW with the 2.5!!!!! It must have taken me almost an hour to change the plugs and wires today. I can see why it had what were probably the same plugs that were in it when she bought the thing with 30,000 miles on it.

I'm gonna chuckle the next time I take the plugs out of my ea82:lol: . Don't kill me for saying it in this forum, but ya' gotta love the old school 'roos.

Some of the older GM cars required you to raise the engine 3" to get to the rear plugs!! A friend got rid of that V6 real fast after getting a whopping bill for a "routine" service. When he asked why so much the dealer told him "we need to hoist the engine to replace the 'plugs."

I have a friend with a mid 90s (or was it late 90s) Impalla SS. He paid the dealer around $300 to put new plug wires in it. They said something about the Alt., Pw Steering, and I think A/C needing removed to get access to a couple of the plug wires. What the hell are manufacturers doing now a days? Can you see the engineers sitting back with a doughnut in one hand and a starbucks cup in the other scratching their heads asking "what can we do this year to make more money for the dealers repair shops?"

I know, I know.. cars get smaller, and engines get bigger. But damn.. I have a 302 stuffed into a little late 80s mustang. It's only about a foot or 2 longer and probably not any wider then my soob. It has plenty of room under the hood. You want to see tight.. one of my crazed friends stuffed a 460 big block Ford into his mustang.

[ I can see why it had what were probably the same plugs that were in it when she bought the thing with 30,000 miles on it.

That would be quite normal. The OEM plugs are platinum and changing them before 30,000 would be nothing but a waste of money anyway. They're good for over 60K.