Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So...down at smart service we have a car, a legacy- production date 09/91 with a bad transmision.

we have a transmision from a car, car is a 92

part numbers 91- 3100ab360r1

92- 3100ab960r1

essentialy the same part numbers, extept for the 3/9 diff

does this mean the trannys are diffrent?

what diffrences would there be?

what can we do to eliminate those diffrences?

Any input or help would be awesome, this is a huge money saving opurtunity. If we can get this to work it would be a life saver!!

Thanks,

Dan

The trannies should swap. The only diffrence should be the diff ratio. You should be able to find out waht that is throught the trannie number (not sure how but some should here should know), or if you could find out what the rear diff ratio was by finding the diff that went to the car that would work to. If it is a SVX trannie the center diff has 1to1.1 front rear ratio, like the new WRX, so if the front diff in the trannie is 3.9, the rear diff should be 3.545, iam pretty sure on that one, the legacy turbo may have the same thing as the SVX, not sure on that tho.

Awhile back when I supposedly thought I had a bad tranny and was looking for one to replace it, I went to a junk yard and was so happily trying to pull one from a 92 but when I was trying to unbolt the torque converter from the engine, it had only four bolts, whereas on mine (I remember) there are six bolts so I went to the office to find out and their computer came up saying the 92 tranny is not compatible with a 91. Only 90-91 are compatible with each other. I also noticed the last two characters on tranny being MH and mine is JS. I ended up not taking that tranny as I doubted the compatibility and was glad to find out later on that my problem was not tranny but a tranny computer unit (TCU) instead. (Read my story at: AT Shift Control)

One thing, though, I could be mistaken about the 6 vs 4 bolts if someone can correct me on this.

part numbers 91- 3100ab360r1

92- 3100ab960r1

essentialy the same part numbers, extept for the 3/9 diff

He didn't specifically say that his new Tranny has a 3.9 differential. He was saying that the where there is a 3 on the trans in the car, there is a 9 on the one he has to put in. Now, if the one really has a 3.9 and the other doesn't than cool, but I don't that is really what was meant.

That said, is this an Automatic or a manual? As for the manual trans, all the turbo legacy tranmissions had one diff ratio and all the non-turbo ones had a different ratio, but from what I remember they were all the same from like 90 to 94. As for the automatics, they did change something for 92, but I have no idea what.

Keith

BTW.....those are not valid part #'s.

Not quite sure what they relate to, or where you found them

I doubt you'll find the orig part #'s. You should be able to find a # on the trans that starts with a TY or TZ or something like that. If you can find that #, I can tell you what year and model the trans came out of, as well as final drive ratio.

okay, well, it is an auto, sorry i didn't specify that to start, would have been a good one to include:rolleyes:

and the part numbers are the factory part numbers, as we went to our local dealrship (carter) to price check costs on a new tranny, and those are the part numbers they use there, call them inventory numbers? they aren't the numbers that are printed on the tranny.

i'll check out the tranny in the morning and see what the numbers on it are, then what they are in the car that isn't working. Is there any way to tell from the outside of the tranny what the gear ratio is going to be? If Legacy777 is correct, the one on the floor is a 3.9, the one in the car would be a 4.111, but just for piece of mind, is there any way to check?

Like I said, the part #'s they gave you are either bogus, or someone screwed up. They are not valid. You can check them yourself at www.subaruparts.com

Yes, you can tell what gear ratio the trans is from the outside, if you can find that info I mentioned. That number should be on the transmission somewhere.

Thawa, what info are you talking about? gear ratios or part #'s?

Gear ratios I pulled from the FSM's, and verified/feel comfortable with after talking with several owner's of various MY's.

Part #'s.....I have the factory part book....plus can subaruparts.com to verify the #'s.