Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My windshield has a crack from the flying road rocks! It's not like it's really bad, but I want to replace it. I saw some good ones at a junk yard. I wonder what year will fit my '91 Legy? Also, how hard is it to do it? I've never done one before so if anyone can walk me through, I will really appreciate it. Thx!

hi

i dont now how hard it is to do, but i now that the windshield is glued to the car. and the glue is a specialglue. and the drying time for the glue is 6-12 hours. to take out the windshield you must have a person whit you and have a pianostring.

good luck

I agree, you could do it yourself, but it wouldn't be worth it. I used to deliver auto glass from a main warehouse (PPG Auto Glass) to all the glass shops in the Portland metro area, and I've seen my fair share of windshield replaced, including one of my own. With the tools and adheasives you would need to remove the glass, prep the hole, and put the new glass in, you maight as well have paid a glass shop to do it. Plus, with a glass shop, you'll get brand new glass, not a junkyard windshied. Besides, you wouldn't really know what you where doing, and probably end up breaking the windshield either while moving it around, or during the install. I've seen the pros do it, and I broke my fair share of glass transporting it from warehouse to glass shop. Do yourself a favor, call a pro, and have them do. Most of them can even come to you, you could get it done in the parking lot at work while you're working, even!

Follow the good advice posted!

I do auto glass for a living and if you could only appreciate what it means to put a windshield in CORRECT!!

Your windshield is a structural part of your vehicle and not installing it correctly can have not only nuisance issues like leaking, in the event of an accident, your windshield can make the difference between walking away or being a vegetable. Happens several times a year.

Leave it to the pro auto glass guys. It is no different than you wanting people to leave your profession in your hands, not someone guessing at it then wanting you to fix their mess ups.

We just had one installed in our 91 from it getting hit from a deer. BTW from 90-04 will work. The junk yard charged us 60.00 for the windshield and there is a guy there who will put it in you car for 65.00 if you want I can put you in touch with him. He did a nice job and no leaks. I'm not to far from the Twin cities.

Joe

Had a new one professionally installed no insurance for $130.00 a month ago.

I told them they were over priced and they said they would beat the lowest price

.................well what would you do...............:rolleyes:

I made up a low price of $135.00:D

Did a great job in 20-25 minutes.

Somerset auto salavge.

Joe

Can I purchase the glass myself and then just take it to him and have him install it or do I have to buy the glass from him also? I'm not sure if you are talking about that guy working in that place or if they are even associated at all.

For the few extra dollars, buy a new one. Most old glass has pitting from road dust, sand , etc. You won't see it until the sun is shining thru the glass into your face, and you'll wish you would have bought new.

Make sure you tell the auto glass place you are paying, not the insurance company. Shop around via the phone, you should be able to get a decent price.