Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As the name indicates I have a '00 Legacy GT (manual transmission) and have been experiencing a chugging/bucking problem. After a decent drive (50km or more) when pulling into the driveway in first gear the car begins to chug and/or buck. I've been to the local dealer and they believe it is a transmission problem. They've quoted me $1500CAD for the fix. What should I do? If this is a symptom of future transmission failure, I would rather get it fixed now.

Best regards,

Chris

As the name indicates I have a '00 Legacy GT (manual transmission) and have been experiencing a chugging/bucking problem. After a decent drive (50km or more) when pulling into the driveway in first gear the car begins to chug and/or buck. I've been to the local dealer and they believe it is a transmission problem. They've quoted me $1500CAD for the fix. What should I do? If this is a symptom of future transmission failure, I would rather get it fixed now.

Best regards,

Chris

I assume you did check that the tire circumferences are equal, right?

I don't see how a manual tranny can cause this problem, it is nothing more than gears rotating about.

Sounds more like a clutch problem, but I have an ATM in my subie, so I have little experience with clutch shudder issues on these vehicles. Search the board for clutch posts.

I replaced the clutch in my beemer for shuddering in heavy traffic (1st gear) and while backing up.