Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disabling air bag

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:34 AM

I'm going to be installing a new cruise control switch in my Outback. I'd like to disable the air bag, is it possible to just unhook the negative battery cable and pull the fuse that controls the air bag?

#2 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:05 AM

I'm going to be installing a new cruise control switch in my Outback. I'd liek to disable the air bag, is it possible to just unhook the negative battery cable and pull the fuse that controls the air bag?

Yes and yes. I'd advise just simply pulling the negative off the battery while you do the work. That way you cover all possible bases to be safe. At that point pulling the fuse is no extra help, so just the battery will be fine.

Keith

#3 gbhrps

gbhrps

User Awaiting Email Confirmation

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • canada

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

BE CAREFUL!!!!! The airbag assembly has an onboard capacitor that retains an electrical charge for as long as a half an hour after the battery has been disconnected. It could still fire off in that time if you are not careful. Pull the battery cable and wait 30 minutes to be safe, before you mess with the steering wheel. The backup system is designed into the airbags in the event that some severe collision should quickly cut the battery out of equation. In the case there would still be enough juice to fire off the bags and prevent injury to the occupants. Please don't quote me, but I believe this is what I have read somewhere in the last two or three years, I just can't recall where. Anyone else out there who can verify or update my information?

#4 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:51 PM

I think you're right. That's why a lot of rescue workers get hurt trying to extricate crash victims. No way to shut them down fast.

#5 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:23 PM

The back-up is in the control module. Can't argue against waiting, but all one needs to do is to unplug the airbag and put away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users