Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't figure out how to get the door panels off on my 2005 legacy...any help? I wanna change the speakers, but I see no screw covers or anything of the sort. Also...Is it even possible to put in a cd player if the cd player in there is connected to everything else? I want my sound system back:-\

Never seen an 05 but it can't be too different from my 02 OBW. Your approach will be similar in most areas, can't say for sure, as I've never had to pull my door panels on this car, but many others from many other cars over the years. If you have the tweeter speakers at the mirror, pry them off using a taped screwdriver blade (to keep from scratching the panels and plastic). The wires underneath are very fine and very short, so don't pull it out too far until you disconnect the harness connectors. If you have a clear or red lower panel side light at the bottom of the panel, pry off its lens, undo any screws you may find and disconnect the harness connector, if it is visible at this point. If it isn't, be aware that as the last step of disassembly of the door panel, you will have to reach in behind the panel to disconnect this harness. Under the door handle (pull it open and hold it) there is a cap. Pry it off and undo the screw underneath. Pry up the power window/door lock switch plate and disconnect the wiring harness connectors from the switches. You may find another screw in the opening that has to be taken off. The armrest may have a plug that can be pried off to reveal another screw underneath. In the front of the panel two thirds the way up from the bottom, may be another plug to pry out and unscrew another fastener. Now there will be at least 7 plastic plugs around the outside of the panel, evenly spaced, going along the bottom and up both sides. Put your screw driver blade in the space between the panel and the door's steel edge and slide it along until you feel a plug and pry it out. Repeat all along the door until the panel is free down both sides and across the bottom. Now lift the door panel straight up (don't forget any wiring harnesses still connected up). Putting the panel back on is just the reverse, except that when you slide the panel back into place, push the top against the glass as you slide it back down to centre it. Reconnect any harness connectors, align the plastic plugs with their holes in the steel door, and strike them with the flat of your hand to reseat them. The rest is straight forward. Yours can't be too much different from this. Give it a try and let us know how you make out. Good luck!

Hmmm... I have those pinecone things connecting the sides, and I realize I have to slide the door upward, but there seems to be a connection in the middle of the door I cannot find...I looked from the sides and It does not appear to be where the power locks and window pad is...but from around the handle. I also see no plugs for the screws. Ill keep checking and figure out the safest way of removing the lock and window pad just in case. Thanks for an and all help.

p.s ...any ideas on the cd player?

If there is no plug behind the door handle to pry up and reveal a screw, then the plastic surround of the door handle will just pop out if pried up at the ends. There should be a screw underneath. As far as the CD player is concerned, buy a CD multichanger that is FM modulated. That is, it connects to your existing radio system at the antenna. Basically you unplug the antenna wire from the back of the radio and plug it into a small FM unit of the CD player, and then plug a shortened antenna routing wire back into the radio. Install the CD changer anywhere in the car, power it and you're all set. The one I have has a wired remote to run the CD, but there are wireless remote models on the market. Now, all you do is turn on the radio to FM Stereo, tune to a preset frequency where there are no stations (mine was set at 89.1), turn on the CD and away you go. Your radio now broadcasts the CD signal throughout the car. You adjust it for volume, bass, etc., and the remote chooses the CD, track, fast forward, etc. The neat thing about it is that you can take it with you when you trade cars.