Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would You Pay $550 for a pair of GEN 1 Fiberglass Fenders?

I'm working on the body on my gen 1 Brat. I have some pretty bad fenders. I am looking to get some good used fenders and should be able to solve the problem atleast until they rust out....

NOS is not an option, if they were, they would cost $160 each (old dealer price) Plus shipping.

I've been in touch with a gentle man that has a pair of brand new fiberglass fenders. Supposed to be absolutely a perfect fit, made in a two piece mold, gel-coat surfaces, ready for primmer and paint....Obviously, if they are as stated, they would be so cool.

Very tempting but obviously pretty pricy. Part of me thinks that even thinking about this, is an indication that I'm very very sick. I paid $800 for the Brat and now I'm thinking about paying 2/3s that for fenders??

What would you do?

garner

Do It.

It's so tempting. It's a rediculous quantity of money. But then, it's only money and I'm in this Brat for the long haul. My Fiance said recently "you'll have this Brat for the rest of your life won't you?" Of course I will. I could but another gen 1 (with issues) for $550. But then I think, how many gen 1 brats with built EA82T's in them do you know of with a pair of fiberglass fenders? The more I get into this project the more I lean towards the show car end of the spectrum. I mean, I want to drive this thing daily and fast but, I want it to look perfect too. I want it pimp. I want a carbon fiber hood(Thats a tall order I know). I want brown leather interior.

Ohhh why did I even call the guy to see if by some off chance he had fenders for a gen 1.......

I wonder what they'd take off a 1/4 mile time?

garner

I called and aftermarket dealer that we go thru alot with the body shop, and fenders for my GL-10 are rather cheap...1/3 the price of dealer ones....unfortunatly, I CANNOT get the RX fenders...only the "w/out hole for air dam" fenders.....and i wanted the "w/hole for air dam" fenders...of which there are only 19 new OE ones left on the planet....

Sounds a little exspencive to me.Here in NZ fibreglass guards were popular with your model and did fit really well.I'm not a 100% sure but I think you could pick up a set for around $300nz even today.Your money your choice.

There's a set of gen1 brat fenders on Ebay,Is this the same guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7913779836&category=33644

Holy Crap Craven, Good Eyes. How the hell did I no tsee those????

Those will be mine!!!! Please?

No not the same guy but I bet they were made by him.

I'll get the contact info for those of you that are interested in other gen fenders

SunGSR, Can you look into that for us or provide links to companies that made fiberglass panels for early subaru? Thanks for the info guys

garner