Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock Radio problem, LCD display is going

Ok, My Forester came stock with a Clarion tape deck. (its a 98) The tape deck still works GREAT and everything, but the display is a little weird. Sometimes you can read it perfectly fine, other times the digits are ilegible, but if you press against the display with yur finger or thumb or whatever, you can read it. I was just wonderin if anyone else has had problems like that, and if it can be fixed, or do i just haveta live with it seein as how i dont at this time have the MULA to buy a new deck? (although, it IS incentive to get a cd player....)

I am not sure if there are any serviceable bulbs in the tape deck display, but you could pull it out and remove the face to check. It's probably a poor connection that may need to be soldered if you have intermittent function. They're also available for relatively little money on ebay, where you can also get a brand new Subaru (Clarion) CD changer for under $100 including shipping on ebay.

They're very easy to install, all you need is a plastic plate ($35) from the dealer that mounts the changer under the passenger seat. Good luck.

If you want to pay shiping its yours. My Cd player sucked but the rest of it was fine. I am off to New England in a couple days so you had best decide quick.

Really? Hmmmm... sounds like an EXCELLENT trade-off. What do you mean when you say that the CD player sucks? but yeah, how much for shipping?

-Jebba <><

and the only place I could ship it from is the Post Office. It would need a couple pounds of box and my zip is 94401. I imagine you know what your zip is and you could look it up on the Post Office web site and see if the cost is worth that much to you.

By Cd player sucks I mean it would not play everything I put in it and may have skipped if I recall. I never tried to clean it, I just put in a new Sony. The radio was better than the Sony.It also has a tape player that worked OK when removed a year ago.

and the only place I could ship it from is the Post Office. It would need a couple pounds of box and my zip is 94401. I imagine you know what your zip is and you could look it up on the Post Office web site and see if the cost is worth that much to you.

By Cd player sucks I mean it would not play everything I put in it and may have skipped if I recall. I never tried to clean it, I just put in a new Sony. The radio was better than the Sony.It also has a tape player that worked OK when removed a year ago.

Ok, from what I typed in at the post office's website, the total came to $14.05, but i think you should confirm that, as it asked me about some details that i wasnt sure about. my ZIP is 49879, and i used the priority mail option. How would you like me to pay you? if you have an ebay account, then im pretty sure i can pay you with paypal. THANX!!!

-Jebba <><