Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ultimate cool air intake???

i'm full of stupid ideas when i am on vacation... and after have two vacation of sitting around i have two good ones worth posting... the first one is the subaru boat... and this one is my ultimate cool air intake...

so if i am right the cooler the air going into the engine the bigger them boom the more power...

so what would happen if you ran it through the AC in the car... instead of the fans blowing into the passenger place the air goes into the engine... cold air bigger boom!

is this a really bad idea or what??? i don't really know if there is a limit or something to how cold a cold air intake can be but... AC makes cold air...

thanks for humoring me everybody!:banana:

The difficulty you run into with that scheme is that the engine is driving the A/C system, and the more heat the A/C transfers from the condensor to the evaporator, the harder the compressor has to work to do it. With the A/C on, you are already losing power to drive the compressor.... I doubt you could get enough back with a scheme like that to actually get a net gain out of it. The amount of power drawn off by the A/C compressor would be more than the power gained by cooling the intake air. You might get a gain if you ran the A/C off of storage batteries and used a compressor from a freezer.... but the added weight of the compressor, DC inverter and batteries might hinder any performance gain there either. Although it would be an interesting experiment.

I like the idea of using a metal container of dry ice as a simple intercooler....

GD

there is a company that makes a cold air intake for the impreza that has a box that wraps around the piping, you fill the box with ice. i cant remember who made it though. and for turbo cars with an intercooler, there a nitrous company that has a intercooler chiller, it kinda works like a sprayer, but it puts out extreamly cold gas, i think its compressed co2, but it turns frost white and steam coveres the intercooler when you hit the button for it. i think the temps get down to the negatives in the tube that suplies the stuff. i think it might be nx, nitrous xpress, i think the product is called the n-tercooler or something to that tune. heard good reviews from the wrx guys that used it, something like a 50hp boost on a very tuned car. works like nos with out blowing your engine.

the new ford lightning uses ac to cool off charge air...they say its like a kick in the pants when it turns on...this has been done before too but with r12, which can be dangerous if it leaks into the engine, so I hear. so they 86ed that plan for production. r134 is safer, so I guess its ok now

Well.........in THEORY....this feild, extracts the heat energy of the air charge...by ways of...well, its just does it. Now, this feild and mechanism has picked up energy...whats it gonna do with it? well...i say convert it to electrial power so that it can power its self, and any extra power it send to the batt...almost acting as a secondary altonator.

thats just the ruff theory off hte top of my head.

I dont aactually have time to sit around an think these tihngs up...over the course of one day....many things that I see get warped and twisted in sick ways to be applicable to the EA82T and make it better, faster, more manuverable, and more powerful. *the King: "Just plain FAST!"*

I dont aactually have time to sit around an think these tihngs up...over the course of one day....many things that I see get warped and twisted in sick ways to be applicable to the EA82T and make it better, faster, more manuverable, and more powerful. *the King: "Just plain FAST!"*

For example...the day I was seriously considereing getting an air/water IC, i had the idea of LQ Nitrogen cooling my PC, so I can overclock the F out of it....and the troulbes of this one dude that installed an AWIC on his WRX running LOTS O BOOST with too much heat build up...the idea came...why not use LQN to in there isntead of some kind of water mixed coolant? :eek: COLD and MORE POWER!

the only problem with lqn is that if it gets too cold, you might freeze your fuel before it gets to the chamber. one thing you can do to cool the intake is to bypass the coolant lines that run through the throttle body. i did this on my impreza and havent had any problems with it.