Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay stupid question i know... but thermostat replacement

Okay so tomorrow is the sooby lovin day. Flush the rad and wash the fins... new spark plugs wires caps and rotors... a good cleanin... checkin the coolant sensor and fuel filter... etc etc etc. But i was also gonna put in one of the 160 or 180 degrees thermostats. Which one should i put in? Also how do i put it in haha. This is not only my first soob but my first car entirely. So... any tips or advice on any of that stuff? thanks

I don't use aftermarket thermostats at all anymore. Go with the stock 192 from the dealer. Here's my reason:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16277

Unless you have a modified engine, there should be no reason for needing a lower temp thermostat. That's simply a band aid.

Make sure to replace your radiator cap as well. I like the Stant ones myself.

GD

Okay off the the dealership it is... and funny you should mention the rad cap as Shean had another in the glove box when i bought it. Hey i gotta question though... on the one thats on my rad now it says 13 lbs. On the new one it says 16 lbs. Whats the difference? Its not gonna hurt her to put a different one on right? Thanks

Make sure all mating surfaces are clean and smooth so you don't get a leak.

Just a touch of gasket sealer helps hold the gasket in place during re-assembly. Some people use plain old grease.

Use plenty of anti-sieze on the bolts.

Be sure the jiggle-pin goes up.

Remove the thermostat before flushing the radiator, and turn the heat on full.

When flushing the cooling system, a flush-fill T connection will help assure a complete flush.

I never use the little pet-cock to drain the radiator. It's too small to flush well and is too slow to drain. Just take the lower hose loose.

I don't use aftermarket thermostats at all anymore. Go with the stock 192 from the dealer. Here's my reason:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16277

Unless you have a modified engine, there should be no reason for needing a lower temp thermostat. That's simply a band aid.

Make sure to replace your radiator cap as well. I like the Stant ones myself.

GD

another stupid question? What the heck is a jiggler pin, and why do some have to be put in with it at the 12 o'clock position and some with the jiggler pin down. Also if it is put in with this jiggler in the wrong position what will happen??? We had a problem with overheating and replaced the thermostat. so i am wondering if we put it in wrong. Also where is the darn thing on a thermostat?? I have other threads here about our problems?? please clear up the jiggler pin issue for me, so we can iliminate that as part of our problems. Thanks J Domingo

The casting on the EA81 thermostat housing is not like the casting of the EA82 - it has a spot carved out for the jiggler pin to sit. It's at the 12-o-clock position in the houseing, which sits upright on the manifold. On the EA82 the housing is flat, and the thermostat sits such that there isn't a 12-o-clock position anyway..... or I suppose you might regard all positions as 12..... at any rate for your car it doesn't matter. There is no cut-out for the jiggle pin in your houseing, and thus it doesn't matter where you put it. Besides that it's just there to allow air to escape when the thermostat is closed. Once the thermostat opens, this becomes a moot point as the air can go right through the thermostat anyway. Without a doubt you can rule it out as a source of your overheating.

GD

Just to clarify, the jiggle pin does not allow air to escape from the cooling system. It prevents an air bubble from becoming trapped at a closed thermostat, which *could* cause overheating by preventing the hot coolant from reaching the thermostat and opening it.

That's what they're there for.

Thanks for the info on the jiggler pin. But tell me if it was not put in correctly could this affect #1 the car starting and #2 running the same as before. The overheating problem seems to be fixed, but now the car barely starts and when it does it sounds awfull plus it idles way to slow so the engine dies out. Could the overheating problem have caused damage anywhere else? It only was driven a short distance after it started to overheat. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated as now that the thermostat and waterpump have been replaced the car won't hardly run. J Domingo

jldskier, running a Subaru even a little while when overheating could, and probably did, blow your head gasket.

Time for a compression check. Look for oil in the water and/or water in the oil.

If you have an EA81 (you don't say what you have) then having the jiggle pin at the wrong posistion could contribute to the overheating.

(It's an EA82 she's talking about)

No, and No. There is no specific position for the jiggle pin on the EA82. The housing sits horizonatally, and thus the pin can be situated at any point, so no matter how you installed it, it will be correct. Really - you are barking up the wrong tree here. It has zero effect on the engine starting, and it has zero effect on idle speed.

As for overheating..... that depends on the condition of the engine. I overheated my EA81 very badly recently, but due to replacing the HG's with Fel-Pro's I had no trouble at all. The EA82's are not usually problematic with HG's unless you are talking about the turbo models. The N/A engines are quite sturdy and will stand overheating a bit. But you should do a compression check just to be sure.

GD

• Like 1

Gosh, I've had my 81 Subaru since 1988 and I can't recall if I have ever replaced the thermostat. I think I did once but I can't remember now. I think the temperature gauge was bumping up and down until I replaced the thermostat, or was that my country sedan wagon? Sigh, I don't remember.

My other old car had the radiator hose blow up because of a faulty thermostat while I was on the freeway, I managed to get the car to the exit lane and shut down the engine when I knew for sure I could rapidly coast off the freeway and didn't need to change lanes anymore. From the time that the hose blew to the time that I turned the engine off probably no more than 10-15 seconds elapsed.

The car's engine was saved but it is amazing how quickly a car's engine can be damaged if one isn't careful.