Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

steering on a 6" lift

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 one eye

one eye

I'm A Subaholic

• Members
  • 2,572 posts
  • Mt.Vernon Washington

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:52 PM

What have other people done with the lengthening of the steering shaft for a 6" lift we've ran it to a few problems:confused: .

Jeff

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

Just add another steering u-joint - this allows you to have a weird angle and still attach to the rack...

GD

#3 Qman

Qman

Happiness is... no lag!!

• 11,119 posts
  • Sumner

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:03 PM

Some have cut the steering column back a little to accomodate the angle. The addition of the second U-joint can accomplish this but you have to be careful. You can build in too much movement and the steering will feel floppy. We added a pillow block to keep mine in line. We had to add a couple different u-joints and the angles were kind of rough. After securing the pillow block the steering feels stock.

If the angles are too extreme you run the risk of tearing the rag joint, beware.

#4 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:05 PM

I think it gets even trickier on an ea82 :eek: So far I have my rack clocked upwards, and I'm extending the crossmember 3" to fix the angles. Then the arms are being angled back to give a total 1" wheelbase extension and make room for the axles to the front diff (ea82 arms get in the way unlike ea81 arms)

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:18 AM

What's a "Pillow Block" Ken? Never heard that term used before.... maybe a pic would help.

GD

#6 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:05 AM

pillow blocks are bearing assemblys for shaft drives. For example: in HVAC units one end (of the shaft) would have a pully on it and the other end would have a fan. You just bolt the pillow blocks down to your frame.

#7 Vanislru

Vanislru

Durka Durka!

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Cumberland, BC

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:16 AM

Bushbasher any chance I can check out your lift install. I've just finished the go fast mods and am know gathering parts for 6" lift, would be stoked to see what I'm really in for. I live up island but will be in Victoria within next few weeks.

#8 DeathHatch

DeathHatch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:35 PM

you could just take off a legacy steering column (has the joint)and custimize it for what you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users