Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Car Tried To Kill Me!!!!

So i was driving around some dirt roads, not doing anything to crazy when my car starts to over heat. i have had this happen before but it was becase a hose was bad and my thermostat was messed up. so i get home almost over heating to red and look at my radiator overfill tank and there is steam and water coming out i took a few pics. then not ten seconds after i take the pictures the green cap explodes of and water starts shooting out of the over fill tank and on my arm. luckily it was not enough to burn me. so what do you guys think new radiator or what.

I cleaned out the radiator by flushing it with a hose, i think i found my problem. the radiator is messed up, but i think i have a leak because when i filled it up it took a while even with a hose on full blast and when i flushed it out it was very clean so i think that was the problem.

I cleaned out the radiator by flushing it with a hose, i think i found my problem. the radiator is messed up, but i think i have a leak because when i filled it up it took a while even with a hose on full blast and when i flushed it out it was very clean so i think that was the problem.

how long is a while exactly? that happened to me on my '74, i was filling the rad. and it was taking too long, pulled the dipstick just to see, sure 'nuff, engine full of water. turns out the freeze plugs in the heads popped out while it was sitting, yours may have a bad head gasket. just a thought...

-mike

Way too much pressure. Possibly could be a stuck thermostat. Could be signs of a failing HG as well. Check for water in places it shouldn't be, crankcase and such. Might be worthwhile to have a leak down test performed to verify the condition of the internals of the engine.

When you say it wasn't that hot, what are you refering to? It's the middle of summer, so if it was warm outside, then rest assured the engine was heating up.

I've never experimented with my subaru but I doubt you can drive it without any water in it with the hope that the wind will keep it cooled if you keep the car moving.

If your engine was not knocking and pinging then maybe somehow you lucked out.

Sounds like your radiator is clogged. Have you washed out the fins in it lately? sometimes while mudding, or dirt blasting the fins will clogg and not let any air through it.

If you do need a new radiator pm me, I have a good used one i will sell you for $30 plus shipping.