Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 GL Coupe - An Adventure and a Request

Greetings!

Thanks to Ebay, I am the proud owner of an '86 GL Coupe, auto, 4WD. The coupe and I will be getting well aquainted on the ride home from Long Island to the Canadian border, on lucky Friday, 8/13.

Why would I bother the group, you ask? Well, this is an untested vehicle that is owned by a less than car-savvy individual. Therefore, it is very possible it may self-distruct on the way home. I will be prepping it as best I can in the guy's driveway, but who's to say what will happen through the hell that is NYC driving and then on the Northway?

I have AAA and will have UHaul on speed-dial, but any suggestions of shops near I-87 in New York, please send them my way. Depending on what goes, the new scooby may end up at a shop, on a flatbed, or in the Hudson.

Turtle

-- 1986 GL Coupe

-- 1979 SR500

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings!

Thanks to Ebay, I am the proud owner of an '86 GL Coupe, auto, 4WD. The coupe and I will be getting well aquainted on the ride home from Long Island to the Canadian border, on lucky Friday, 8/13.

All I can say is IT LIVES!

Got to the car and the body is way better than advertised. The seller turned out to be a great guy (always a risk) and he threw in three extra sube alloys with tires he had kicking around. It needs a bit of TLC; fluids, cleaining, and lube and filter, but it survived the 380+ miles after sitting for close to six months. The muffler is also shot, so I was chased by a lovely potato-potato sound all the way home.

Only issue not related to age/condition of the vehicle is that with the 3spd auto, it seems very gutless compared to the 5spd hatch I drove in high school. It is carbed though, so there is hope.

Suggestions on getting a bit more OOMPH out of the auto? I plan on only minor mods, this is going to be a commuter car. In the works are taller shocks for a bit of a lift, pug rims, and new bumpers.

Sorta wish I had caught this thread earlier... I'm about fifteen minutes off exit 6 of 87.

Well, when I'm swearing at the beast during various repairs, you can come on up and laugh at my ineptitude. I'm looking forward to taking it out to try the 4WD. It is single range, unfortunately, but I'm not planning heavy duty work.

How about carb/filter/exhaust combos for a bit more power, I've done them with bikes, it would follow they would work with my sooby...

Anyone???? Bueller???