Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 RX Turbo Motor Oil Boiling

Hello Everyone-

This is my first post here. I have become a Subaru owner just recently when my uncle gave me his '86 RX Turbo. So far I'm enjoying it a lot.

I have a question for any who may have this car or possess knowledge about it. I drive the RX pretty hard on the way back home since I live in a mountainous area. After letting the engine idle for a bit, I shut it off and I can hear a faint burbling sound from within the cabin. I've decided to investigate this further and popped the hood on numerous occasions to locate the sound. The burbling seems to be motor oil boiling. Is this normal?

My RX has no mods whatsoever. I've only taken the spare tire out of the engine bay.

It's definitely not the coolant reservoir. My coolant level is pretty stable. I refill it every once in a while, but it's never boiled before.

If I follow the fill-tube for motor oil downwards, the boiling seems to be coming from there.

My 2 bits it's your coolant, maybe u have a head gasket issue allowing exhaust into your coolant. A good shop will have an inexpensive test to verify this. If it is exhaust gas in your coolant the ph will be off and your coolant levels won't really change, just become more acidic over time.

My turbo did this everytime i'd pull into the parking lot on the ski hill or after driving hard for some time, replaced head gaskets and no problems since.

well this is also a "thing" that most turbo cars do. when its shut down, you hear, just as you describe, a faint bubbling. is it coming from the turbo/downpipe area? the turbos get so hot that it either boils the water or oil in them. also be sure you let the car idle for about a minute after driving to let it cool down and circulate some water and oil through it.

and yes as subaru styles and Vanislru say it could be a boiling water issue due to a HG problem.

tyler

Hey subawoohoo i think your right... because after i turn off my car and if i pop the hood right away there is a feint white smoke coming from a pipe that i was told is the turbo coolant return line or sumthin like that. I think i need to let it idle to get that cooled down as well... thanks for the tip. Oh and a turbo timer does essentially the same thing right? Lets the car idle for a few minutes after you turn it off.? Thanks

Hey subawoohoo i think your right... because after i turn off my car and if i pop the hood right away there is a feint white smoke coming from a pipe that i was told is the turbo coolant return line or sumthin like that. I think i need to let it idle to get that cooled down as well... thanks for the tip. Oh and a turbo timer does essentially the same thing right? Lets the car idle for a few minutes after you turn it off.? Thanks

yea the problem with lettting it idle is people are almost always in a hurry to, and it usually gets too damn hot in the car to sit there, so yea a turbo timer will let the engine idle for a set ammount of time so you can just leave it.

nifty little gadgets.

Yes, I believe it is coming from the turbo/downpipe area. Thanks.

yup just let her cool down a bit, especially after hard driving. its just a normal sound dont worry about it.