Ultimate Subaru Message Board

monster ea82 wagon update!

Specs?

31" grabber MT's not mounted yet but you can see em in one pic

6" lift

Lada T-case with center diff-lock (allows 4wd on the pavement) plus 1.2:1 high range reduction to counteract the big meats on the road.

28:1 or 45:1 crawl ratio

Stock 80's toyota 15x6 steel rims (the chrome rims and tires in the rear are temporary)

Motor is stock except for no intake muffler and dual exhaust.

Interior is stock but I have window tint for the rear half not put in yet.

It will just be painted white I think with the lower half flat black, with white rims.

Theres along way to go still before its driveable.

Welded rear diff too. If I cant find an lsd for the front I might try a dual ebrake setup.

• 2 months later...

Its rolling!!! Sure, it only has 2 lugnuts holding the wheels on, mismatched wheels,no brakes, and no exhaust, but it moves!!

So far from my driveway pounding, my custom a-arm front suspension works well, and my double doj axles havent blown up. But I got it stuck in the ditch cause it only has rwd right now, and nobodies around to help me get it out. And the friggen power company broke my phone line while they were putting new insulators on a nearby power pole :banghead:

Okay, 3 more pics in my gallery, don't laugh... :lol: The pipes sticking forwards are my dual exhaust flipped around temporarily because they dont fit the right way anymore.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=129

yep temporary. I noticed when I put them on I went from being able to cruise up my driveway in low with no gas, to having to feather it. Now of course I can put the e-brake on in rwd and the back tires will slowly burn out while the vehicle is stopped. And I can get out and watch :brow:

yep temporary. I noticed when I put them on I went from being able to cruise up my driveway in low with no gas, to having to feather it. Now of course I can put the e-brake on in rwd and the back tires will slowly burn out while the vehicle is stopped. And I can get out and watch :brow:
They look pissed pointing forward! Hope no oil blows by tho; tough getting that off the windsheild :lol:

With the 31"s on please post ground clearance to skid plate and rear diff.

Can't wait to see it with 31"s on! How wide are they? Also how much clearing you had to do with making 31"s fit for turning? About 3" of backspacing on those Toyota rims right?

the tires will be 31x10.5s. the tires on the back now are 30x9.5s. When I welded up my rear quarters, I modified the lip to follow the shape of the tire with the suspension fully stuffed (with the coilover pulled out). In the front my wheelbase ended up being extended 1" but with a 6" lift I think it would work without the extension. The rims are about 3.5" backspace, and 6" wide which is right on the limit for the size tires I have. Ive been on the lookout for some 7" wide rims.

Building the front suspension with the diff in it has proven to be a serious pain, because of the way the ea82 suspension arms angle forwards slightly instead of backwards. I had to make arms that angled back, but to do that I had to move the crossmember forward. So I made my crossmember 3" forward, and my arms angle 2" back.

I just worked up a sweat putting one of my 31s on a rim using a tire iron :eek: And theres more like 1.25" with these 31s. The other 31 I tried was the same spec but actually was wider.

Yeah funny how same sized tires are different between make/models.

PICS PICS PICS :D

I like pics of big tires on subarus :brow:

That's sweet!:slobber: So when can I take you up on the wheelin' around the back 40 offer?:brow: I'm still sportin the minor lift w 185/80's but the 4" kit is in the ... works .

What kind of $'s are you into this project for? You have 2 crawl ratios?

If you need any wagon stuff let me know [cheap or free], I'm getting ready to send the parts cars to the wreckers. We are heading to Victoria in the next 2 weeks so i can drop off what you may need.

I dont think I need anything. You should come over with your sube. My rig only has rwd with temporary (ie half exhaust pipe) driveshafts. But bring an extra diff if you've got one, we can weld it up and you'll really go places :brow:.

I bought the car for a grand, got really nice tires for only 150, free rims, tcase was 40 bucks, I would say Ill be in for about 15-1600 canadian. If I wasnt such a cheap bastad it probably would be in the 2g range. I have basically 2 crawls, 28:1 and 50:1.