Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I always ask the questions that don't get answered (mostly because my brain works just outside of normalcy), but I digress...

Perusing through the filters at Pepe Boyz today, intent on picking up a few P14460 (no ADBV :( ), I started opening boxes lookin for "visual" matches, similarities, etc...

Anyway I found the P22821. All the mechanicals match. Same thread diameter and pitch, same number & size of inlet holes, same gasket, same convex mating surface (outward facing threaded portion), and same physical diameter of external filter body.

Different however is:

1. Slightly greater overall filter length (more media surface area).

2. HAS AN ADBV!! (like the Subaru OEM part).

3. Costs only $2.99 US ($2.49 for the PROline house-branded equivalent).

I'm thinking of giving his filter a try in spite of the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing. The only variable that comes to mind which was not already mentioned would be the filter's internal bypass valve (specific pressure).

Anybody that has knowledge of oil filters have any sage advice for me? Is the bypass valve calibrated for (integrated into) the filter itself, or for the engine?

I always ask the questions that don't get answered (mostly because my brain works just outside of normalcy), but I digress...

Perusing through the filters at Pepe Boyz today, intent on picking up a few P14460 (no ADBV :( ), I started opening boxes lookin for "visual" matches, similarities, etc...

Anyway I found the P22821. All the mechanicals match. Same thread diameter and pitch, same number & size of inlet holes, same gasket, same convex mating surface (outward facing threaded portion), and same physical diameter of external filter body.

Different however is:

1. Slightly greater overall filter length (more media surface area).

2. HAS AN ADBV!! (like the Subaru OEM part).

3. Costs only $2.99 US ($2.49 for the PROline house-branded equivalent).

I'm thinking of giving his filter a try in spite of the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing. The only variable that comes to mind which was not already mentioned would be the filter's internal bypass valve (specific pressure).

Anybody that has knowledge of oil filters have any sage advice for me? Is the bypass valve calibrated for (integrated into) the filter itself, or for the engine?

The OEM filter for my USDM 2002 Legacy is identical to the 14460, save for the shape of the gasket. OEM has a round cross section, while the 14460 has a rectangular cross section. Neither have an ADV. There's no need...the filter mounts vertically (with the open side pointing upward).

Th Neither have an ADV. There's no need...the filter mounts vertically (with the open side pointing upward).

So then why would the engineers at subaru have put the ADV in if it didn't do soemthing? That's not like Subaru to have something that is useless. I myself will stick with OEM identical filters. Spending $3 more to have what the engineers at FHI wanted in there is cheap to me, but that's just my opinion.

Keith

Myles, every Subaru OEM filter I've looked at HAS an ADBV (there may be some that don't, but I haven't seen them).

The reason for the ADBV is not to hold oil in the filter, but to keep the oil from siphoning down out of the engine galleries backwards through the filter, pump, and pickup tube back into the pan.

Myles, every Subaru OEM filter I've looked at HAS an ADBV (there may be some that don't, but I haven't seen them).

The reason for the ADBV is not to hold oil in the filter, but to keep the oil from siphoning down out of the engine galleries backwards through the filter, pump, and pickup tube back into the pan.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the OEM filters from my dealer do not have an ADV. Just to be clear, the anti-drainback valve is merely a neoprene flap that's deflected by oil flow when the engine's running, and falls back into place when there's no oil pressure to keep the oil from draining from the filter. Are you guys talking about the bypass valve, perhaps?

The valve won't stop flow in this direction. It's meant to stop flow in the other direction.

The valve won't stop flow in this direction. It's meant to stop

flow in the other direction.

Yes it will. The outer holes are the input to the filter, the inner threaded hole is the output. The oil from the engine would come in the center hole and would be stopped by the nitrile or silicone ADBV covering the outer holes. Stopping oil flow in the other direction would starve the engine of oil.