Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy Outback Limited Question!!

Hey guys. Just wanted to ask other owners out there a quick question. Im looking to replace my headlight bulbs to "brighter" ones. not a major 1000 dollar type fancy xenon stuff. just brighter bulbs you get from the car section of your local store or the local car parts store. i was wondering which brand is best and also which code would it be under? 9005, 9006, or 9007? i just want my lights to look a ittle less "yellow" and alot more whiter and brighter. also i was wondering what i can do to get more mileage from my gas. can anyone suggestion any tips or upgrades? thanks in advance. your answers are much appreciated.

• 8 months later...
Hey guys. Just wanted to ask other owners out there a quick question. Im looking to replace my headlight bulbs to "brighter" ones. not a major 1000 dollar type fancy xenon stuff. just brighter bulbs you get from the car section of your local store or the local car parts store. i was wondering which brand is best and also which code would it be under? 9005, 9006, or 9007? i just want my lights to look a ittle less "yellow" and alot more whiter and brighter. also i was wondering what i can do to get more mileage from my gas. can anyone suggestion any tips or upgrades? thanks in advance. your answers are much appreciated.

I believe your 2000 requires a 9007 headlamp. You must replace the bulb assembly with that same number. I installed Sylvania SilverStar bulbs (size 9007) on my 99 Legacy GT and my wife's '98 Outback LTD. They are substantially brighter than standard replacement 9007 bulbs, but that comes at a cost.....they are expensive to purchase (approx 31.00 for a two-pack) and they don't last as long as standard headlamp bulbs. I purchased them at a local Advanced Auto store because a rebate was offered by mail which, by the way, takes forever to receive. I fail to understand why it takes 8 to 12 weeks to "process" a $5.00 rebate.......