Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP! Clutch just went to floorboard

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tracedog67

tracedog67

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cincy, OH

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:03 PM

Fellers,

1997 OBW, 5 MT, 227k miles, I pulled into the entrance of our subdivision (thank goodness) and my clutch stayed on the floor, it wouldn't come back up. I know I have lots of miles on this car but the first owner drove 70 miles one way to work everyday so the miles are mostly highway. I had a clutch go out before on a Tbird turbocoupe so I know the signs of a clutch going out. The OBW shows no signs of the clutch giving out, is there a return spring of some kind that may have broke? Please help i'll be stranded at home tomorrow if I don't figure this out. After just shelling out $400 for exhaust work on our SVX I don't want to have to put more into another car after I got the OBW running great with new headgaskets and such.

thanks for this board.

Tdog67

#2 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:25 PM

Fellers,

1997 OBW, 5 MT, 227k miles, I pulled into the entrance of our subdivision (thank goodness) and my clutch stayed on the floor, it wouldn't come back up. I know I have lots of miles on this car but the first owner drove 70 miles one way to work everyday so the miles are mostly highway. I had a clutch go out before on a Tbird turbocoupe so I know the signs of a clutch going out. The OBW shows no signs of the clutch giving out, is there a return spring of some kind that may have broke? Please help i'll be stranded at home tomorrow if I don't figure this out. After just shelling out $400 for exhaust work on our SVX I don't want to have to put more into another car after I got the OBW running great with new headgaskets and such.

thanks for this board.

Tdog67

I know this might sound stupid, but did you try pulling it back out? I know that at some point Subaru went to Hydraulic clutches. If your car has a hydraulic clutch then there is the possibility of the pedal traveling far enough that a spring somewhere doesn't do it's job and the pedal stays. All I've ever done when that happened was reach down and pull the pedal back.

Keith

#3 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:28 PM

Fellers,

1997 OBW, 5 MT, 227k miles, I pulled into the entrance of our subdivision (thank goodness) and my clutch stayed on the floor, it wouldn't come back up.

Tdog67

Clutch Master Cylinder

This is not that big of a fix, you can rebuild it yourself or get a rebuilt one.

#4 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:33 PM

Do title search for "clutch pedal" and you'll see some threads on clutch pedal sticking (down to the floor). It's probably a hydraulic issue, not a mechanical one.

#5 canajun2eh

canajun2eh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 03 August 2004 - 05:51 PM

When that happened on my 92 Legacy, it was a broken clutch cable. I don't know whether your car has a hydraulic clutch or a mechanical one.

#6 nickb21

nickb21

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 558 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:03 PM

This might help, if copy and paste works..

http://pub205.ezboar...icID=7875.topic

#7 sprintman

sprintman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canberra Australia

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:06 PM

I had same problem. Free slave cylinder etc under the TSB. They gave me a new clutch free earlier as well. Good luck!

#8 tracedog67

tracedog67

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cincy, OH

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:11 PM

Clutch Master Cylinder

This is not that big of a fix, you can rebuild it yourself or get a rebuilt one.

The master cylinder was a little low of DOT 3 so I filled it up but the slave cylinder ( I assume this is the very small 3/4" cylinder with a small rod coming out of it) doesn't seem to want to go back each time. Yes, I can pull the clutch up with my foot but if I turn the ignition on it does it again. BTW, my wife drove the car yesterday and she hasn't drove a stick for years ( I hope she doesn't read this or Mr. Happy will be on bread and water for a month).

Keep the suggestions coming please, where do i get these parts quickly.

thanks

Tdog

#9 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:29 PM

I hate to say this, but it sounds like the pressure plate kicked the bucket. Regardless of how it was used, 227,000 miles is a lot for a clutch. Be happy it went that far. My Legacy clutch went from driveable to undriveable in 6 miles, the release point being on the floor. When I pulled it into the mechanic the next day, the pedal stayed on the floor.

I'm not ruling out a hydraulic issue, it's entirely possible. But it does sound to me like new clutch time.

#10 tracedog67

tracedog67

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Cincy, OH

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:38 PM

When I opened the hood i noticed that there appeared to be some wetness near the firewall. With the hood up I pumped the clutch and noticed something spraying on the windshield. My wife pumped the clutch and I was relieved to see that the hydraulic hose has a leak in it near the end of the coupling, so I hopefully just need a new hose. Is there an easy way to get this part, do you think some kind of tape would hold it until a new hose can be found?

thanks for the quick responses

Tdog

#11 sprintman

sprintman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canberra Australia

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:53 PM

The TSB applied to slave cylinder and hose etc. Not sure if that covers 97 model though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users