Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, so I don't know everything, and this is one of those things. My Father has a 91 Legacy, EJ22, and it has a red-line of 6500rpm and rev limit around 7000rpm. I just bought a 95 Legacy, EJ22, and it has a redline of 6000rpms and rev limit of 6000rpms. So what changed in the engines to cause this?

Keith

Keith, if I'm not mistaken, didn't the EJ-22 make a change from DOHC to SOHC at some point? The earlier version being set up more as a high-rpm turbo screamer (Turbo legacy, Impreza 22B, etc.) but also available in N/A form, then in the later version converted into a dedicated N/A motor with a punchier midrange. I'm just guessing.

Keith, if I'm not mistaken, didn't the EJ-22 make a change from DOHC to SOHC at some point? The earlier version being set up more as a high-rpm turbo screamer (Turbo legacy, Impreza 22B, etc.) but also available in N/A form, then in the later version converted into a dedicated N/A motor with a punchier midrange. I'm just guessing.

Nope, EJ22 Has always been SOHC to the best of my knowledge. I know from the begining until at least 97 they were all SOHC. The EJ22T may have been DOHC, but I've never really looked at one.

So the question still remains, what internally changed if anything? I've noticed that in stock form my car really has no pull past about 5250, so maybe it's a practicality thing.

Keith