Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 Rev Limit differences

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:01 PM

Ok, so I don't know everything, and this is one of those things. My Father has a 91 Legacy, EJ22, and it has a red-line of 6500rpm and rev limit around 7000rpm. I just bought a 95 Legacy, EJ22, and it has a redline of 6000rpms and rev limit of 6000rpms. So what changed in the engines to cause this?

Keith

#2 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

On the Legacycentral board, I am one of the few whose Legacy will hit 7000rpm, everyone else says their 90-94 Legacy bumps off the limiter at 6500. So our two cars are special I guess :)

#3 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:10 AM

my '95 legacy redlines at 6 and rev limits at 6

#4 SuperRallyRoo

SuperRallyRoo

Defundit.com

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  • Tacoma, Wa.

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:43 AM

Ive had it up to 7k in 2nd gear and it just slowed down till i shifted and went again. That was by total accident though... I try to keep it under 6000:cool:

#5 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:49 AM

Maybe the early EJ22 rev limiter was a bit weird. Mine was red at 6500 but the limiter kicked in at 6800. Just a smooth stop though.

My Impreza, EJ20, is red at 6200 and limits a little bit more abruptly at: 6200!

#6 camosuba

camosuba

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Brisbane Australia

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:26 AM

my ej22 redlines at 6500 and goes brarp brarp brarp at 6750 i would assume its a fuel cut?

#7 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:00 AM

Keith, if I'm not mistaken, didn't the EJ-22 make a change from DOHC to SOHC at some point? The earlier version being set up more as a high-rpm turbo screamer (Turbo legacy, Impreza 22B, etc.) but also available in N/A form, then in the later version converted into a dedicated N/A motor with a punchier midrange. I'm just guessing.

#8 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:35 AM

Keith, if I'm not mistaken, didn't the EJ-22 make a change from DOHC to SOHC at some point? The earlier version being set up more as a high-rpm turbo screamer (Turbo legacy, Impreza 22B, etc.) but also available in N/A form, then in the later version converted into a dedicated N/A motor with a punchier midrange. I'm just guessing.

Nope, EJ22 Has always been SOHC to the best of my knowledge. I know from the begining until at least 97 they were all SOHC. The EJ22T may have been DOHC, but I've never really looked at one.

So the question still remains, what internally changed if anything? I've noticed that in stock form my car really has no pull past about 5250, so maybe it's a practicality thing.

Keith

#9 THAWA

THAWA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Sac

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:40 AM

kieth, all first gen us legacys are sohc

#10 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:02 PM

I know exactly how many factory DOHC EJ22 Subarus have been produced worldwide :D

Only in the 22B (400 of those made)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users