Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1. I have purchased (but not installed) a new cold air intake for my 98 2.5 RS. Is its possible for water to get inside of it and screw up your engine?

2. I saw on a website somewhere that if you clean the connections of certain ground wires you can get your car to run and shift alot smoother. I think there wass three wires. Has anybody heard of this? I would try it myself but I dont know which ground wires to do, or where they are.

:banana:

ARe you sure about #2. Nothing was purchased. I think the battery was removed so that the ECU was reset. THen he disconnected all the grounds and cleaned off all the corroded metal so the connection was better. Supposedly it makes the car accelerate more smoothly. I just dont know which grounds and where they are.

About the intake. I thought i bought one but I guess not. I tried to buy it online but the internet conked out on me. What type of intake do you recommend (keeping in mind that i just spent all my money on purchasing the car).

Is the car in the pic yours. its sweet.

hey there.. yep that's my car :D

okay... on the grounding thing.

it's quite possible someone went through and just cleaned up the grounds

but many are adding a 'grounding kit'... these kits do diddly...

dont care what anyone says. they look neat and that's about it.

see below. yellow wiring = 'grounding kit'

impreza%20ground%20mod.jpg

and on the intake.

many will tell you to spend $300 and get the cobb tuning intake...

www.cobbtuning.com

well.. it's fancy and all but you can get the same performance for less.

i run a Ganzflow intake with K&N drop in panel filter

see intake here:

impreza%20ground%20mod1.jpg

Ganzflow intake can be found here:

http://www.imprezars.com/products.htm

K&N filter here:

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/index.asp?category=237875&count=1

You wont see massive gains... 1-2 hp at the most

but your gas mileage will improve and you will have added a reusable air filter... :) rather than having to spend $20 per air filter

hope this helps...

you can see more of my Imprezas here: www.subiegal.com

cheers

jamie

Having good grounds is always a good thing. As for creating more power it's possible, but not probable. Some of these grounding kits add grounds that weren't originally there. The idea is to create the shortest, and least resistive path for the engine to get to ground. That in turn should allow for a tiny bit better spark, but nothing that you would feel in the seat. People commonly install these kits and claim to feel a difference, when in reality simply cleaning up the existing dirty and rusty grounds would have given the same effect. I think what you've already done is plenty.

Keith

Honestly though.

Subigal, what sort of gains did you see with that pipe? The factory setup impressed me, short of the big bread box feeding the TB.

Skanky, a good ground or a pefect ground, you will not notice any difference. I had friends that built street racers (400hp) engines and were all anal about running a big phat ground strap. Other friends and I have ran upto or past them still using a stock ground strap on a supercharged 5.0.

photos of me??

sure here is a recent one:

jamiethomas.jpg

there are loads of them on my site... go here:

http://www.subiegal.com/images/me/about_jamie_thomas.htm

anyway back to the RS :)

You will not see massive gains with "just an intake"

but add....

cat back exhaust, header, and down the line, even more goodies

(cams, pistons, port n polish....)

and yeah.. your NA can GOOOOO! :)

:) - Jamie

I'm curious about this grounding issue? Is it a very noticeable difference in the way the car performs? Where can I fing the grounding wire?

My old pickup ran like S#$@ until i discovered a frayed wire that went between the valve cover and the firewall (i'm not electrically inclined, as I took physics up through kinetics and thermodynamics but not elec/magnetism) :)

Test your voltage at your battery. Test the resistance of your ground. I'd tell you how, but I got a C in electronics 10 years ago, and don't have my multimeter in front of me. Electricity is fun, and it's a new adventure every time I figure it out again. The last line, in that last post, reminds me of one of my brothers friends. He bought a license plate ring that says "yes, I am a rocket scientist". Some people are too smart for thier own good. God blessed me with other problems. Naimly the curiosity of a Kinder. :)

there are loads of them on my site... go here:

http://www.subiegal.com/images/me/about_jamie_thomas.htm

anyway back to the RS :)

You will not see massive gains with "just an intake"

but add....

cat back exhaust, header, and down the line, even more goodies

(cams, pistons, port n polish....)

and yeah.. your NA can GOOOOO! :)

:) - Jamie

****!! you're a hottie!!! You show your left side a lot. Is there only the one dimple? I knew a girl in Sac with only one dimple. She hated it, but I thought it was sexy.

In your opinion, where's the first major bottle neck in these engines? Forgive me, but my last 10 years has been spent tinkering with 200 to 600 hp mustangs. On those cars I can tell you the headers are the first thing that need to go. Ford pinched all the tubes coming straight out the heads so you can get a socket on all the header bolts. Great way to save time, right?

****!! you're a hottie!!! You show your left side a lot. Is there only the one dimple? I knew a girl in Sac with only one dimple. She hated it, but I thought it was sexy.

STOP FLIRTING WITH PEOPLE OVER THE INTERNET

:drunk: i'm just messing with you...heh