Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

reading codes on 94 Loyale (edit: 92 not 94)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blackbart

blackbart

tlegacy driver

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • Northeast PA

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:25 PM

How do I read the "check engine" codes on a 1994 loyale? Are there any wires I can hook together like I can do on my Legacy?
Thanks much.
EDIT: the car is a 92 not a 94

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,502 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:59 PM

under the hood, there are green connectors and black(or white) connectors on the driverside firewall near the strut tower. plug the black connectors(single blade) together to read the codes. there is an led on the ecu, just drop the plastic down under the steering column enough to see the led

How do I read the "check engine" codes on a 1994 loyale? Are there any wires I can hook together like I can do on my Legacy?
Thanks much.

#3 Bill90Loyale

Bill90Loyale

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:13 PM

As you can see, I've got a 90. So things might be different.

On mine, remove plastic trim panel just above your shins as you're seated in the driver's seat. This exposes a silver (aluminum box). This is your engine control module (ECM). On the face of the box, you will see an inconspicuous hole. In that hole is a little blinking red light.

Now open the hood. On or near the firewall at the upper right hand side near your brake master cylinder, you will see a number of unplugged electrical connectors. Plug together the two green ones.

Start the car. Examine the blinking light. It blinks like morse code. Long and short blinks. 5 steady shorts means you do indeed drive a Loyale with a standard tranny (7 is an automatic). After that, see if you note a pattern. Long blinks count for ten, shorts for one.

So, for example, if you note LONG LONG LONG SHORT SHORT SHORT SHORT, that's a trouble code 34 - EGR Solenoid on the fritz. The codes are all listed in starting on page 6-12 of the Haynes. Drop $15 for the book, it'll help you.

#4 americanyouth

americanyouth

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • Tolland

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:36 PM

Is there even such a thing as a '94 Loyale? I thought the last ones were made in '92, but correct me if I'm wrong....

#5 SubaSkeet

SubaSkeet

iDesert Destroyer!

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:15 PM

loyales took over the gl (i think) in 1990 and continued until 94. quite a short lifespan. does that reflect its performance, perhaps?

p.s.: im also a 94 loyale owner. and proud of it. (although i'd be prouder of an svx if i had one of those)

#6 blackbart

blackbart

tlegacy driver

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • Northeast PA

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:08 PM

The car is a 1992 not 1994, I'm stupid. This car belongs to a friend of mine and he doesn't have internet access so I was trying to help him out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users