Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The A/C on my 92 wagon goes wacky every time I hit the A/C swtch on dash. The system works but a bunch of clicking like that of a relay is heard in by the glove box area. Sometimes the system will lock in for a while and work fine, other times this relay or what ever clicks like heck and sometimes stalls the car. In the cold of winter it has the same symptoms when using defrost switch. Anyone experience the same? If this is a relay problem it's a good one.

92 SVX 146k

92 Legacy wagon 140k

The A/C on my 92 wagon goes wacky every time I hit the A/C swtch on dash. The system works but a bunch of clicking like that of a relay is heard in by the glove box area. Sometimes the system will lock in for a while and work fine, other times this relay or what ever clicks like heck and sometimes stalls the car. In the cold of winter it has the same symptoms when using defrost switch. Anyone experience the same? If this is a relay problem it's a good one.

92 SVX 146k

92 Legacy wagon 140k

Yep had the same issue with my 91 Legacy.

There is a sensor on the top of the exchange box, behind the glove box that goes out. I will grab my SM tomorrow and give you the part name and number.

I got a used from the junk yard and all is fine now.

:D thanx rweddy, I knew there had to be one more out there. This gives me great hope that once again my little wagon will act normal.

92 SVX

92 leg wagon

and used to own 88 XT best car I ever owned.

Sorry for the delay. Part is called a Evaporator Thermo Switch.

They are $84 new from the dealer. It is a senor that is located on the top of the heading unit right behind the glove box. Take off the glove box and look right on top of the black ducting. The unit has a resistor built into it so that the system will not freeze if it gets to cold. To do it correctly you have to pull the entire assembly out and put the end of the senor back into the exchange of the system. What I did was unplug the old, plugged in the new and secured it to the housing, and let the sensor part just sit on top of the assembly rather than it it.

Has been fine for a over 6 months now.

I got the sensor from a low milage unit at a junk yard.

Sorry for the delay. Part is called a Evaporator Thermo Switch.

They are $84 new from the dealer. It is a senor that is located on the top of the heading unit right behind the glove box. Take off the glove box and look right on top of the black ducting. The unit has a resistor built into it so that the system will not freeze if it gets to cold. To do it correctly you have to pull the entire assembly out and put the end of the senor back into the exchange of the system. What I did was unplug the old, plugged in the new and secured it to the housing, and let the sensor part just sit on top of the assembly rather than it it.

Has been fine for a over 6 months now.

I got the sensor from a low milage unit at a junk yard.

Thank you for the info, it really helped make my day!:)