Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've just purchased the 99 Forester with the Code Alarm security system. I'd like to make it silent, i.e. no chirps will be heard when I lock/unlock the doors. Does anyone know how to set this?

Thanks!

The problem is that although the security system looks like the Code Alarm CA110 model, apparently it is not - the basic functions descriptions in the 99 forester Owners Manual and CA110 Owners Manual don't match...

I see nothing in the operator's instructions for the OEM system about disarming the chirps that you hear when locking and unlocking the car. I also have an alarm system in my car, and there is a horn-shaped plastic siren mounted under the hood toward the rear passenger side. You could disconnect the wires to the siren or checkto see if there is a seperate fuse that you could remove to disarm the it; this would also disarm the the alarm but probably not the starter interupt function.

I think you have to hold both buttons down on the key fob for a certain number of seconds. It was in the owners manual I think.
In my car, this sets off the panic alarm, which you would presumably do if you were to be mugged near your car. Good luck.

My mistake. I went through my owners manual and the security system booklet and it didn't say how to get rid of the horn chirp. I just cant remember exactly where I read how to do it. But it can be done, I did it. I'll try to remember and I post it.