Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 CB mounting

For those of you who know my car, it has a rather large CB radio in it. It used to be mounted to the center console to the right of the shifter, basically hanging down into the passenger footwell making the passenger seat unslidable.

Well, after enough of Shannon asking that I remove the bracket and put it elsewhere I finally did.

Since EA82 clocks never work and I had tons of slack in the antenna and power wires I decided to get creative.

I removed the glove box, unplugged and popped out the clock, fished up the wires from the floor through the new dash hole, marked drilling points on top of the dash (on the big flat part) drilled, and screwed on the bracket. Now the CB sits up on the dash, is VERY sturdy as I ran the screws into the inner structure of the dash, not just into the padding and the wires protrude back into the former clock hole so the installation appears very clean. The microphone wire had to be routed under the unit then back around the right side of it (to help it stay away from the shifter)

Pics to come. Shannon is just happy to have her legroom / kneeroom back again :)

Yeah I have mine down on the glove box lid and I hear you... not enough leg room for passangers. It's also annoying becuase I have to lean down and over to surf channels which I cant always do in traffic.

I like your idea of mounting it up in there. Do you find you still have to lean and reach the console to change channels or squelch?

I'm pretty interested in how MilesFox mounted stuff to his roof. Idealy I think I'd like it up there. Just like in the big rigs :) Nice and easy to just reach right up by your head to use the CB. Miles if you read this pls post how you mounted the Roof of Boom :cool:

Thx U

on trashwagon 5, i removed the headliner and used a thin piece of plywood between the roof itself and the spars. then went on the headliner, and i could use screws wherever to mount whatever

the roof of boom now resides in the RX, the amp mounts directly to the rear roof ahead of the gate, wood screws thru the metal(not the roof itself, and the same on tw5) the speakers are now under the front seats

i do, however, have a console from the ceiling of a van, and it mounts directly to the spar that contains the dome light, wood screws again. it is on this console i have a set of van map lights and the cb mounts to the structure of the console itself.

sooner or later i will have pictures of "trash3-door: the fastback 2-door wagon, but right now its "secret mobile" status (no pics)