Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Budget XT

In the midst of making a drag race XT on a budget. Best time so far in the quarter mile is 15.31 @ 91.58. Does anyone else have any drag slips, or suggestions for future improvements. Its a 1985 XT turbo, front wheel drive, auto tranny.

*Stock: turbo, engine internals, wheels, tires

*Custom boost controller - placed a plastic "T" into the air line that goes to the waste gate, drilled hole in T bigger... controlled air leak keeps gate closed, running 15 pounds now.

*Saab 900 intercooler, Home Depot intake piping

*3 inch downpipe... enhaust piping off of a truck, cut/welded to application

*Dynomax Race Bullet muffler... directly off of downpipe

*Interior stripped for weight savings = weighs 2370 lbs with me in it

*Interstate battery, cause the other one died

***Total cost of project ~~ $130 ~~ (including the car).***

I assume you want to keep it Subaru or you would be talking about budget engine + drivetrian swaps already :)

I'd ditch that AT for sure. Might want a 4speed MT? Wont need 5th on the strip but I dont know what tranny has the best gear ratios. Research that up first and get the one best for acceleration. Plenty of ppl with FSMs on here to look stuff up :)

Drop more weight. I know you already removed a lot of stuff but now its time to start cutting. I forget where I read this and it wasnt even that persons idea but I still love it... everytime you drive the car leave with a piece off of it !_!

Suspension and tires are important too; not just the engine. Stiff suspension will keep them tires on the ground better. Wider tires will give you more grip.

What do YOU feel the problem is? Pure lack of power? Power isnt utilized? Cant keep tire traction? All of those can be addressed to improve your times.

Junkyard upgrades are where its at for the budget aspect. Getting what parts you can for cheap and doing the work/custom yourself will keep costs way down.