Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High mileage?'s

So I just got my Subaru today and after driving around all day I noticed the odometer just rolled over to 222,888 I thought it was pretty funny. Well here's the Q's what should I do to help my engine to stay kicking. It has new plugs but thats about it so far it does need the oil changed and new filter but what else can I do? Thanks for any help/info oh yea it doesnt leak a drop of oil any where so I assume just like all other cars thats really good.

Car info:

1983 4dr. Sedan GL

1.8 liter

5 spd.

2 wd

Gold/Tan

Thanks

LeDevil

well you are lucky to have a EA-81 car so all you might need to do is replace the fan belt(s) and if there is no sticker on the valve covers saying that the motor is a Hydraulic valve lash adjuster equiped motor to just adjust the valves

if you have some sorta major leaks might also look into resealing the oil pan gasket, oil pump, redo the front main seal, when it comes time to do clutch rear main seal, and also the valve cover seals but other than that then cheers :drunk:

my 87 has 294K, but a new engine

my 88 GL had 266K, all original, all I had to do was replace a head gasket on it

my other 88 GL had 225K, also had a head gasket, but it blew due to age

my soon to be 86 GL (26X K) needs a new oil O ring in the head gasket (ok I like head gasket problems, they are easy for my to fix)

87 turbo wagon with 145,000. Yeah that is low mileage by comparison.

91 loy-a has 190k on the odo but the motor that is in it has 200k on it.

the fuel pumps on both these ea82 wagons are on the pass. side in front of the rear wheel.

Change oil, plugs, oil and fuel filters.

based on my experience, don't run it out of oil, as that will tear out the bottom end, don't overheat it as that will tear up the top end.

you should have many more miles out of your motor. good luck wit it

I have a 88 GL 3-door with throttlebody and overhead cam. When I bought this car it had 224,000 miles on it so I knew it was ready for some replacement stuff. I put new timing belts, all front and rear seals, timing belts, oil pump, cover gaskets, fan belts, fuel filter, plugs, wires, both front half shafts and wheel bearings, oil pan gasket, and flushed the radiator. I know have 247,000 miles on it and it's running great with very little leak (these things are really known for oil leaks). have fun with the new rig, boing