Ultimate Subaru Message Board

siezing caliper???

well i got me a "new" wagon a few days ago, '82 GL. and i had a problem with the front left caliper siezing up, so i relieved the pressure via the bleeder valve and got it home, anyway it siezed up a few more times later that day, so i removed the old caliper and replaced it with one off of my hatch. i took the car out and all was fine for a few miles, i was going in reverse, turned the wheels and jabbed the brakes, and the "new" caliper siezed up again. what would it be, HH or MC?? im not sure if it's the MC because i dont know if its locking up the rear left wheel as well because well i dont think the rears are adjusted properly.

anyway, im slightly irritated because it made me walk home in the rain to get one little tool. :rolleyes: i missed lots of mud playing time! but i am kind of happy that its not the caliper.

any ideas? does the MC need rebuilt or maby bled? or could it be the HH getting wonky?

thanks a bunch.

tyler j

i'm not sure, but i wouldn't rule out the e-brake as a factor either. you could always disconnect the ebrake cables from the front calipers and try to duplicate the seizing...
thanks but I would rule it out. when i first got the car, the same tire was siezed so i relieved the pressure and got it home using ONLY the E-brake. then like as soon as i used the pedal, it siezed. and again when i went out for some playin in the dirt, it siezed and i had to get it home using only the e-brake again. so i think its hydraulic. so hurm, could it be just that its been sitting too long? kinda gummed up, or i woke it up and its still kinda angry? perhaps i just need to clean and/or work it in again.

well i went oustside and fiddled arround with it again and i noticed that the HH cable was rather tight. so i loostened it up thinking that the idiot f***** it up as well (seeing as the reason i got the car was because he thought the tranny was blown, even though i knew the clutch cable just wasnt adjusted properly.) anyway, i took it for a test drive and well two - three miles later its still fine. now i dont know why if that was the problem, only one wheel would lock up, so im not getting my hopes up. but hopefully!! LOL well any other ideas subie masters???

also please be sure to check out my other thread concerning my carb. :D coming soon.

thanks again,

tyler j

That was probably your problem - the HH only works on one of the two circuits. So it will engage on one front wheel, and one rear wheel. I'm betting your rears are so far out of adjustment you just didn't notice....

GD

exactly what i thought, thanky.

tyler j