Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tranny question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spideyz

spideyz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Sebastopol, CA

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:29 PM

I have a 93 legacy L wagon 5spd manual AWD and the second gear synchro is going. I saw someone selling a 92 legacy 5speed tranny for $100 from a wrecked car. Not sure at this point if it was a wagon or sedan. Should these trannies be interchangeable? $100 now for a known good tranny could be better than $900 or more for a rebuilt later. What do you think?

Keith

#2 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

I have a 93 legacy L wagon 5spd manual AWD and the second gear synchro is going. I saw someone selling a 92 legacy 5speed tranny for $100 from a wrecked car. Not sure at this point if it was a wagon or sedan. Should these trannies be interchangeable? $100 now for a known good tranny could be better than $900 or more for a rebuilt later. What do you think?

Keith

The tranny you found should work fine. The only thing that change around was final drive ratio. This was copied from another thread and supplied by Legacy777

90-94 MT non-turbo trannies had 4.111 final drive ratio
90-91 AT non-turbo trannies had 4.111 final drive ratio
92-94 AT non-turbo trannies had 3.900 final drive ratio
91-94 MT & AT turbo trannies had 3.900 final drive ratio

Keith

#3 powderhound

powderhound

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • SLC

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

How bad is it? My syncromesh has been "going out" in 2nd and 3rd for 50K now. Personally I would live with it until it won't go any more...could be a long long time. Have you tried changing the MTF or double clutching? Mine shifts like new with Redline NS in it!

#4 spideyz

spideyz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Sebastopol, CA

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:19 PM

It is worse when it warms up after being on the freeway and downshifting is worse than upshifting. I have been thinking of trying the redline stuff in it. The guy I bought the car from said he just got used to it. Thanks for the reply.

Keith

#5 powderhound

powderhound

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • SLC

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

I believe it was Setright who told me syncros are rounded off so that they can take a lot of abuse. It seems that they can.

#6 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

My lower gears grind sometimes...downshifting its worse...I hope a change in oil in the transmission will help some...or maybe it just needs a clutch adjustment :-/

#7 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:53 AM

did you ever get around trying the Redline stuff in your tranny..and if so, was there any success or even a little difference...Thanks

#8 spideyz

spideyz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Sebastopol, CA

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:57 AM

did you ever get around trying the Redline stuff in your tranny..and if so, was there any success or even a little difference...Thanks

Nope, I haven't tried it yet. I've gotten used to babying second gear. I'll probably change the fluid when I do the oil next time.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users