Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need a lefthand thread screw/bolt...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:06 PM

...to take my steeting wheel apart on my 96 Outback. I stipped the torx/allen wrench screw thinger on the righthand side of my steering wheel. I need to put a new cruise control leaver in. So, to get the screw/bolt out I need a lefthand thread bolt or screw... I need a 1/4, 5/16, and a 3/8 bolt/screw. It can be any length, and can be a hex bolt, phillips screw, etc.

I am going to screw the lefthead thread screw in counter-clockwise until it is tight, and then it will force the bolt/screw in my steering wheel out by turning it loose.

I checked local hardware stores, Auto Zone, Adv. Auto Parts, Lowes, and Home Depot...some have the nuts for the bolts...but nothing else. If anyone knows where I could get one...a store, or a website, or ANYTHING...i'd really really appreciate it.

(I tried those things that are supposed to take out stripped screws, the ones that look like weird drill bits... it didn't work)

#2 Guest_jclay_*

Guest_jclay_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:42 PM

Can it be drilled out?

#3 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

That is pretty much what the thing was that gets out stripped screws...a reverse drill bit...i'll look for a bigger reverse drill bit and try that...the problem with the other thing was it was to small.

#4 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:10 PM

Known as Screw Extractors or "Easy Outs" there are hardened, tapered, left-hand thread bits with flats on the top so you can put a wrench on them. You drill a hole in the shaft and insert one of these, to back out the shaft.

#5 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:07 PM

That won't work. I spent $20 on them and it didn't work...it just slips.

I need a lefthand thread screw or bolt.

Thanks anyways.

#6 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

www.mcmaster.com

search for "left hand thread screw" and you'll get some options. I don't think that you are going to find something like that at a local store.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users