Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, I installed a new switch in the steering wheel, brake thinger, throttle thing, vacuum pump, button on the dash, and main computer thing...and my CC still does not work. The only thing left to do is the clutch button thing. I don't think its that...I don't know what it is. I hope I installed the switch in the steering wheel wrong...because now my horn does not work.

I don't know what else to do. When I press the button, the light comes on, and I hear the 'click' sound from the main cruise control computer thing...but when I go to set a speed or accelerate...nothing.

Any ideas?

OK, I installed a ... vacuum pump...

Do you mean the part that has a vacuum hose in one end and the cable to the throttle out the other?

Do you have one of those "vacuum pumps" in your tool box?? Like this;

39522.gif

If so, hook it up to the vacuum end of that box and draw a vacuum. It should pull the second throttle cable. If it doesn't, there is your problem. If it does, reconnect that vacuum line and put the pump at the other end of the hose and try again to see if there is a leak in the hose.

...When I press the button, the light comes on, and I hear the 'click' sound from the main cruise control computer thing

Which button, the dash button to turn on the cruise control or the steering wheel button that activates it? If it clicks when you hit the steering wheel button, I doubt that it is that switch or the clutch switch.

There is a ground...it may not be hooked up..would this cause the horn and CC not to work?

I installed a new pump for the cruise control system...and the throttle part.

I installed a new button on the dash that lights up AND new switch on the wheel...but the ground may not be hooked up...could that cause it not to work?

Are you talking about the connector on the ground wire? You can probably replace one kind with another, just make sure it's done soundly because you don't want to get there again. That wire is certainly necessary for the horn. Not positive about the cruise, but better have it connected right. JB Weld is not conductive. You can crimp it on and heatshrink, like the original. If the horn was working before, then the relay should be good. If memory serves, the cruise switch receives 12V through the relay coil.

I put a new connector on the ground wire and connected it...the horn and CC still do not work.

The new switch is a bit different from my old one...there are 2 connectors, and the ground. The one that I pulled out of my car only had the one connector, and the ground. The paper that came with the cruise control stuff said the one plug was the OE Horn something-or-other...but there is no place for it to connect to.

If it was the switch then the CC should at least work now, right? Or since the horn isn't working...does that mean that it isn't connected properly and that could have something to do with the new switch not working?

Try connecting the old switch and see if the horn still works. Why didn't you check the clutch switch? Maybe it's out of adjustment or that plastic piece is missing from the hole on the clutch pedal. Also, by chance, was a taillight bulb replaced before the trouble began?

For $35 I got all the parts...so I did it logically. It stoped working when I was messing with the switch in the wheel a lot to set my speed. Then I did other stuff...still nothing works.

I might take it to the dealer and have them do it. I've replaced everything and it still does not work. Maybe i'll try a switch made for the 96 and not the 95...I don't know if that extra connector has something to do with it.

Well you got a good price on the parts. I still would get a test light and chart to guide you through the process. It sounds like there is a connection problem in the steering column. With a test light you will be able to check the connections to verify what is working and what isn't.

Before going to the dealer, maybe you want to spend $20 on wiring diagrams and troubleshooting guide. You can get them for both '95 and '96. I have one for '95 Impreza but it's different because only Legacy uses a vacuum pump. Chances are '96 switch is wired differently from '95. Is your horn switched by pushing on the airbag cover? A '95 has two buttons like '94 and earlier, so there's a chance the harness also changed with the new design.

yeah, on the 96 the horn sounds by pushing on the airbag cover, which I am sure is why the switch for the 95 didn't work for me, and neither did my horn with the new switch. I am thinking of just going to the dealer and getting a new switch for my car...or possibly the junk yard...but I really do think it is the switch.

It was that damn little peice of plastic that makes the button on the clutch switch go in...it had a hole worn in it...that is all that was making it not work...:banghead:

Oh well...its fixed.

Anyone need CC parts for a mid-90s Legacy? :D