Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!!! 1990 legacy starting problems

For months now, every time I leave my car sit for a few days it has problems starting.....especially after a rain. If I would leave it sit in the sun until the afternoon, the car would start up very rough for about 2 minutes...then act normal......

Well, two weeks ago, it finally decided to not start at all......just keeps turning over but not starting. So I gave in and had it towed to the dealer. They just gave me the bad news.... they said I need a new Ignitor and an ECU. They want $1200 to do the job. I told them forget it, paid $80 for the diagnosis and had it towed home.....

Now it is sitting in my driveway and I am debating what to do. What do you think? The car has 125K miles and otherwise is in good condition.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Donate it to charity and get a tax write-off

2) find used or refurb parts (ignitor & ECU) and replace them myself....but where to I locate these parts for cheap $$?????

3) try to sell it?

What would you do?

For months now, every time I leave my car sit for a few days it has problems starting.....especially after a rain. If I would leave it sit in the sun until the afternoon, the car would start up very rough for about 2 minutes...then act normal......

Well, two weeks ago, it finally decided to not start at all......just keeps turning over but not starting. So I gave in and had it towed to the dealer. They just gave me the bad news.... they said I need a new Ignitor and an ECU. They want $1200 to do the job. I told them forget it, paid $80 for the diagnosis and had it towed home.....

Now it is sitting in my driveway and I am debating what to do. What do you think? The car has 125K miles and otherwise is in good condition.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) Donate it to charity and get a tax write-off

2) find used or refurb parts (ignitor & ECU) and replace them myself....but where to I locate these parts for cheap $$?????

3) try to sell it?

What would you do?

The dealership is insane!! 1200!!!

Where do you live?

Are there any local Subaru shops in the area?

Independent shops are always better than dealerships.

You can get the parts from eBay or local junk yards for well under $100, if not let me know. I was just at the junk yard last week and they had 2 90 legacies there.

125k is just broken in for a 2.2 legacy

Fix it myself. The dealership seems way high. I agree with rweddy, 125k is pretty fresh for a 2.2.

I haven't done this before but the ignitor seems easy to get to and its around $300 at 1stSubaru, I think. The ECU I would think you could salvage used at a bone yard.

Both the ECU and Ignitor can be had for under $20.00 each here. Pretty cheap fix. Give me a holler if you need these parts and I can go and pull them for you if you need me to. Now, all I'm just asking is just a little of gas $$ and shipping and you will be on the road again.

Thanks for the replys....I just go the part numbers I need:

ECU - 90-91 4EAT non-turbo ECU - 22611aa383

Ignitor - 22436aa010

If someone out there can locate these for low $$, I would be willing to pay for them, shipping, handling and some $$ for your troubles......

call me at 703-216-3670 and I will make the arrangements with you.

Thanks,

Marty

Sure, I will be glad to help you. I intend to go to this wrecking yard this Monday 8/16 and see if they have those parts. I know they have Subies there cuz I always go there to get parts for my Legie.

I will let you know and keep you posted.

Ok .... I found a junk yard with a legacy in it and got the ecu and it is now starting ok.....

So thanks to everyone that offered help.....one issue I still have....

the unit was out of a Non-wagon and mine is a wagon.....

The part number looks similiar but not identical....my old one is:

22611AA383

and the one from the junk yard is

22611aa383 F

Non sure what the difference is....anyone know? Please help.....

Thanks,

Marty