Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Range Question

I was looking at the post in the marketplace about the dual range in an 81 Brat. Is the gear ratio different than in other Brats? I got the impression that the dual range from that year brat (81) seemed to be really good. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest taprackready
It probably has the same ratios as the rest of the 81/82 DR 4 speeds. Which have a taller 3rd and 4th then the 83+ DR 4speeds

If it had a taller 4th gear then that would make it an overdrive transmission.

Bill

81-82 dual ranges have the same gearing. The change came in 83. The fourth gear is longer 83+, I'm not too sure about any difference in 3rd. I've had several of both to compare.

If it had a taller 4th gear then that would make it an overdrive transmission.

:lol:

Guest taprackready
Yeah - the 3rd and 4th gears in the 81/82 are shorter. Good for a lifted rig, since the big tires don't like high gearing. Otherwise they just get crappy gas mileage on a stock setup.

GD

So fourth gear is not 1:1 ratio?

Bill

Actually - it's *over* 1:1, so 4th IS overdrive. The ratio of the 81/82 4th gear is like .942, where the ratio of the 83+ 4th is like .885.....

3rd gear is something like 1.344, and 1.266 respectively.

Look at his chart ^ it's better than my memory :-p

What I don't get about that chart, is it seems like 82 4WD wagon's didn't exist..... which they did.... for sure. Heh. Weird

GD