Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well guys and gals, it's been fun

I have been searching both of our 1997 Outback Wagons and it seems there are no pots of gold hidden anywhere!

I've also asked my friends to check theirs - ditto.

It appears that Subarus actually cost money to maintain. And actually require some maintenance to go 200,000 miles.

Of course, they still cost less to maintain than virtually any other AWD vehicle, and still last longer than virtually any other AWD vehicle, but I'm going back to 2WD land and moving inside a domed stadium so it won't snow anymore!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Cars break. What else is new?

You want reliable? Get a Bycicle.

I've yet to meet a car that didn't need *anything* before 200k. Although I've seen some Ford's try real hard. Still needed brakes.

The whole point of Subaru's *was* that they were simple, and easy to work on.... of course they departed from that principle in '85. The *new* principle, is just like all the other manufacturers - pretty package + ooh-aahh features + dumb buyers = profit.

That said, Subaru has had a few "choice" vehicles - either by dumb luck, or by the law of averages. Just about all the EJ22 powered vehicles are nearly unstopable - early Legacy's going half a million miles isn't unheard of. Their 5 speed transmission design (hasn't changed much since '85 - just gotten stronger) is really excelent. Even after several hundred K's, they often still shift smooth, with no syncro problems.

On the other hand you have things like the EA82(T) series - yuck. The whole range of Subaru's Automatic's - yuck. The EJ25 with it's HG issues - yuck. The ECVT transmission - yuck.

Really - just like any other manufacturer - each model is different. Occasionally you will see one that is exceptional - most will have a few quirks - and there will even be some lemon's that happen. The Justy's were known for eating engines every 100k or so.... not something you associate with other soobs.

GD