Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi ,

Looking at leasing a subie forester xs....... 5spd manual...

can any one out the give me any insight... into this topic....

I am looking get a lease through a leasing agency...

and not the dealer........... any clues help or insight would

be appreciated....

Micky

Check out Consumer Reports for data on leasing vs. buying. Which is better really depends on your needs. If I remember correctly, it will cost you more in the long run to lease the car. That is, if you plan on owning it down the road. Good luck. Bert

Summary: leasing is often the least expensive way to drive a new car you can't otherwise afford. It makes sense for businesses that can write off the monthly payment as an expense rather than having to depreciate the car over five years. Businesses get to pay with pre-tax dollarsPrivate individuals do not. I leased one truck at work: the only advantage was not having to sell it, and I wound up buying it out of the lease and selling it, anyway. I've bought them outright, since.

Otherwise you'll have paid a significant portion of the new price, while ending the lease without any asset. And still paying all the insurance (high for a new vehicle) and maintenance costs (low for a new vehicle). And incur significant additional costs if you go over the mileage or have anything beyond minimal wear and tear.

Also beware that some of these lease deals are no bargain at all. I usually bring a financial calculator with me to any such negotiation. The guy trying to lease the stuff often doesn't even know what the imputed interest rate is - I've seen it as high as 15%! Most people don't bother to do the math on lease payments, they just take the path of least resistance.

Subaru has some lease specials on manual shift 05's, I think. But you can also get low interest rates on leftover '04's and even on the '05's - often much lower than a used car. And as any discount or tradein counts towards the downpayment, even the up front cash outlay to buy new may be the same or less.

Some excerpts from CR:

The attractions of leasing often include a low (or no) down payment and those low monthly payments. (The monthly payments need to cover only the car's depreciation and finance charges, not the total value of the vehicle.)

The lower monthly payments of leasing can also let you drive a more expensive car than you could otherwise afford. Another attraction of leasing is that at the end of the lease, you can simply return the car to the dealer....

Leasing has its drawbacks. Once you're in the leasing habit, monthly payments go on forever. You do get to drive one late-model car after another, but you're always on the steep side of the depreciation curve--the time of a car's life when it depreciates the fastest. (It's the same as if you traded in your car in every two or three years.)

When you own a car, you can put on as many miles as you like without a financial penalty, and wear and tear need not be a special concern. When you lease, you pay penalties of perhaps 25 cents per mile for going over the preset mileage limit--usually 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year. You'll also have to pay to have the car reconditioned if the dealer judges that it suffers from excess wear and tear when you turn it in.

If you need to get out of the lease before its term expires, you may be stuck with thousands of dollars in early-termination fees and penalties--all due at once.

The bottom line: leasing is best for those who drive less than 15,000 miles a year, who keep a vehicle in good shape, and who tend to get a new car every two or three years anyway.

Sold Subies a while ago...you CAN negotiate lease prices too. They are based on the selling price of the car.

If you plan to keep it afterwards, I would NOT lease it. READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE SIGNING if you do lease. Wife just leased a Dodge Crapavan and had to pay $300 to turn it back in. THAT WAS JUST TO PROCESS THE RETURN. There were no charges for mechanical or visual defects.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions about the process. I'll be glad to help you through it.