Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stolen Subaru

Me thinks it will be back!:rolleyes:

Just like the last one, it's not going to Mexico or being shipped over seas somewhere. I'd bet it's not far from where it was last.

I just hope your rake is treated well. The Subaru can take the abuse it may get.

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

there's gotta be some way to rig up a kill switch.. you know, whenever i plug a green wire into another green wire under the hood in the top right corner(diagnostic wires, i think) my car doesnt turn over. all the lights work and stuff until you try to turn it. i hope it isnt damaging, as it doesnt seem to be. you could put a switch under the dash hooked up to those, if its not just my car thats wacked. any other ways you could make a kill switch, somehow kill the battery power w/o physically taking the batt. connection off?

you could put a switch into the fuel pump circuit, you could put in a kill switch for the coil, you could disable the starter, anything comes to mind. you could wire the starter relay thru the cigarette lighter so it has to be pushed in for the key to work, as long as you or your regular passengers don't smoke. and a switch could be hidden anywhere in your car.

Sorry to hear about your Soob being taken. Mine was "borrowed" a few weeks ago.

For a killswitch, I just interupted the clutch interlock circuit. Apparently this only works on EA82s, though, so you EA81 and earlier guys will have to interupt the fuel pump or starter circuits.

Read fictional story once where a guy was driving around an old school bus in a convoy of old school busses (long, wierd story, but a good one). He hated keyed ignitions, so he replaced it with one of those huge, old lever-action switches, straight out of Frankenstein.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

you could put a switch into the fuel pump circuit, you could put in a kill switch for the coil, you could disable the starter, anything comes to mind. you could wire the starter relay thru the cigarette lighter so it has to be pushed in for the key to work, as long as you or your regular passengers don't smoke. and a switch could be hidden anywhere in your car.

i had a kill switch in a nissan. it was wired to the lights. if you didnt turn on the lights it wouldnt start. the ignition switch was wired to the horn so if you got in and started it without turning on the lights two big loud horns would go off until you stopped turning the key. i always forgot about it and would be blaring my horn for a few mins. before i turned on the lights.:drunk:

hmmm.... good thing my BRAT is pretty ugly right now. People do walk around it and are amazed that it's still running.

One things i did when I had a jeep was take a large padlock and lock the gas and clutch pedals together. I figured they may be able to start the car, but the could'nt drive it anywhere.

A kill switch will probably be looked into when I really get serious about restoring it.

Good luck about getting it back.

BW

the first thing to do when you get a car is install twin relays, one for starter, one for coil... wish i could tell you how clever the switches are (stimpyOHJOY.wav)

badguys and siblings, they are all the same.

now sporting motion detectors and silent alarms, courtesy axeman and goodwill,

and radio shak.

radio shak sells a tunable tiny FM transmitter for 12.00 some assy req'd, can also be found at any online electronics retailer.

also available is software to turn your car mounted PC into a motion and sound detector. most have mic built in and webcams have never been cheaper. home watcher is one title. cheap wireless card links with pc in garage which is hardwired to the house, you can put at least 150 feet of wire between your pc and your USB camera.... black and white cameras are IR sensitive, IR LED's are cheap..... see it all in the dark, before they even get in.

raccoons, cats, dogs, anything can set it off, so its nice to have the pc pop up with an image so you can decide if you just want to send the dogs out, or

go berserk.

been playing with a few approaches, depends on what you like i guess