Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Speakers In The Brat...

Stacey,

I have a 1987 Brat. I am assuming the speaker layout is the same for your Brat. To remove the right speaker, you can take the glove box out, and work from underneath. I installed a 3.5" when I replaced mine years ago. I cut a 1/4" plexiglass (sp?) plate to fit the original 4 X 6" speaker mount. Just added information (you most likely are aware) - the left and right original front speakers are not the same size. I cut a different size plate for the left speaker.

Regards,

aba4430

For the right speaker, I installed a 3x5 - I got a blaupunkt that just barely fits between the mounting studs. I had to dremel it's plastic mounting frame so the studs would clear, and then I just threaded the old nuts back on the studs. Works great.

The left speaker I haven't messed with yet, but it's a totally weird size, in a very small space, so it will be a challenge.

Depending on the year, you may or may not have door speakers, and you may or may not have the driver's side speaker in the dash. '82 models only came with 1 speaker!

GD

if you can manage to pop out the speaker cover on the driver side, the screws are at the top of the speaker and go up thru, it will be difficult finding a replacement speaker of the same shape, so you may have to invent a way to fit the replacement speaker to the old ones bracket.

It is possible to get 4 1/2 " speakers in the dash. It just took me most of one day to do the fabricating for mouting rings and plates.. A more skilled fab man can probably do it in less than an hour.. And trimming the foam on the drivers side is necessary.

Mike

I instahled 5 1/4 200w round pionner door speakers in my brat one under the steering colum shroud and the other just above the passenger tray under the glove box in that plastic wall sorta speak.

in the back behind the seats are 2 6x9's 200w and 2 6" 200w round speakers mounted in a box i made it's a level deck that runs door to door and level to the hump

Hassey

Turbone helped me replace the entire console/dash in my ´84 Brat. Since the new console/dash was out I managed to install small Blaupunkt speakers on both sides. I don´t think the left side speaker is removable without taking out the console/dash....no, you don´t want to do it if you can avoid it.

Speaker on drivers side behind the little vent looking piece is easily removed without taking the dash out. I have done it, (I then installed a little tray which was also an option) However, Installing a new speaker would be the difficult portion of the task. Not impossible though

The left speaker was easily removed from my 87 Brat. I did not have to remove my dash, just the under dash panel below the steering wheel. I believe one of the speaker bracket screws is only then accessible. I cut the center section of the original left speaker bracket and screwed it onto a Plexiglas plate with a cutout for 3.5" pioneer (TSA879) unit. Made sure that the height of the assembly was exactly the same as the height of the original bracket. I then screwed the assembly back into the original mounting location for the bracket. It has been several years now and details are a bit hazy.

Some extra information now:

My existing system is almost worn out. The display on the Sony XR-U330 cassette unit (10 years old) is shot, but with intuition I still use it to control my mobile ES 6 disc CD changer (CDX-T65) and it sounds just fine. I just picked up a new mobile ES XR-C9100 cassette (with rotary remote) unit as well as a new XM-604EQX Sony amp from EBay. I will most likely replace my worn speakers with Infinity Reference 3.5" (front) and 4" (door) speakers. The CD changer works fine. I bought a Streetwires 4 gauge amplifier wiring kit from EBay (excellent deal at $15 plus $9 for shipping) today. This kit is $80 at Crutchfield.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5711125898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I use a Kenwood 8" powered tube sub behind the driver's seat. This is an excellent unit and I will keep it for now. Will plan and accumulate all parts etc. and then start the install in a week or two. I will surely post pictures etc. of the work.

Regards,

aba4430

Ok, So I had an alarm installed, and an amp and cd player. I hooked up a split box behind each of the seats, and had 2 sony xplod 6x9's put in the doors. I've had real good luck with buying everything from my work(pep boys). THe box was 14.00, the cd player was reduced from 250$ to 35$, and the speakers were 10$ for both. I think my good luck just came to an end. I took the glovebox out, and took out the speaker that is there. I took the factory connector off of the speaker and soldered it too a 4 1/2 sony xplod that I bought. I dont think I grounded it right cause when I plugged it in to the dash it worked for a second and then their was a small pop and now my door speakers sound like they're under water. The boxes behind the seats still work, but now it just adds to everything sounding like rump roast. Does it sound like I blew the speakers??????Thanx for all the input, and thanx for the offer Boz, After this little mess I created I may need your help after all.

Battle axeT6. old Subes are common ground and all aftermarket speakers need to have new wire run for each speaker. it may not be blown yet but is poossible and it may also have teken out your amp/deck our. After running new wire try testing again at lower volumes to make sure b4 going crazy with it.

mike