Ultimate Subaru Message Board

#%*@!Female teen driver totals my subaru

Got rear ended on I-5 yesterday in my 1997 Leg Wag. No idea yet as no tickets were issued but her insurance seems like it is going to pay, but how screwed wll I get on the deal. I got a nice 1997 Subaru Leg with 85K on the od. I did a autotrader search and found that the upper end 1997 Subaru are going between 9999 and 8000 I have a Brighton that has had every recommended shop adjustment etc. done on time since it was purchased.

I am mad as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! North guy call me tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only car left for me to drive is a Taurus with 188,000 on the od and Iam suposed to go on a month long road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

similar problem, only she hit me in my Toyota 4runner (which is why I now have the Outback).

Only she crushed my left leg & foot. 7 months later & I am only now learning to walk again.... sh*tty insurance to boot... hardly enought to pay the medical bills. I'd've be happy just to replace the vehicle...

be safe & have fun.

Later,

Peter

Go to the link I will put below and read the messages. Specifically the fith one from Chap. I had my 95 legacy wagon totaled this past March. I used the advice from this guy and I received about $1,500 more than the insurance company originally offered. The starter of this post is someone I used to work with. I replaced my car with a twin I found thanks to the insurance company that paid for my old one. I asked for the listings that they used to help determine the value of my car. I live between DC & Baltimore. The car was in Philly. I would have never looked in classifieds up there. I ended up with a car with more options and 100,000 less miles for $1000.00 less than the insurance company gave me.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004410.html

I hope this helps you, Bert

Guest Vickaroo

sisu... Sorry to hear about your Wagon!!!! I really wish you the best of LUCK in getting everything taken care of... I found (here anyways) when no ticket is given then its hard to collect from someones ins. Thats what happened to me about 3 years ago when a chickiepoo turned left into me!!!! The ins. on both sides said they would take care of each others policie holders, which I just had lib. ins for an older wagon and well my poor subie just lived with the pain.. Like I said The Best of LUCK.... Vicky

This happened to my wife's Carolla a few years back. We didn't know better at the time and ended up getting screwed over by the other persons insurance co.

DO NOT settle for less then what you feel is appropriate compensation. However, you will probably have to get a lawyer to make them pay. Make sure you go get checked out by a doctor even if you feel ok. She didn't right away, and later found out she had a torn muscle in her back. Because we didn't immediately go to the ER they wouldn't acknowledge that it was caused by the accident.

If the car is indeed totalled I would try to buy it back from the Ins. Co. afterwards and part it out here. You could probably make a few dollars on it.

Good luck, hope you're ok.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I totalled a 95 Legacy when a young girl made a left hand turn in front of me. Not a good feeling.

I would definitely stay on top of YOUR insurance company. Make sure they are proceeding with everything in a timely manner. If it's a case of her insurance company accepting 100% liability you may be entitled to a rental car on HER company's dime.

I agree with the person who said you should look into buying your car back from the insurance company and parting it out - here or someplace else. Also, when the ins. co. goes to total up your settlement, make sure you provide them with receipts from any major repairs/replacements you had done to the car...They may not consider ALL of them, but my insurance company at least considered some of mine. They usually take the BlueBook value, less a certain amount for mileage PLUS your deductible (if it wasn't your fault) plus tax and tag fees.