Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help Please! drivability problem (kinda Long)

I usually dont ask for help, but i'm stumped on this one. I have just got an 1989 subaru wagon, 1800 5 speed dual-range, throttle body injection. My problem is, a few things. First i replaced the thermostat, and the radiator(old one was missing fins, flushed engine, before ever driving it. The last owner replaced timming belts cap, rotor button, wires, plugs, coil asembly and bunch other things, said it had a couple of problems, ran a little warm and missed a little. The thermo was stuck almost closed. Got it together and ran like a scaulded dog,i was eating stangs with it. I went to "play" down this little "non state owned" road aganist a big ford truck, i had him, hit a small bump, and then engine started missing like a timming belt had broke, wouldnt even pull 30 mph.I checked belts, good shape and really new. in time also....but now it wouldnt even start. I removed the disty bolts and turned the disty untill my friendstarted it, it was almost a 1/4 turn out. Ran good agatn, drove home, turned off. next day, wouldnt start untill i un timed it back to normal, went to pull out and it did it again, pulled cap off and noticed i could turn disty button about a 1/4 turn by hand and it not come back, is the optical disty susposed to do that? any ideas what problem i have or how to fix it? I have to get it going asap! please help.

I usually dont ask for help, but i'm stumped on this one. I have just got an 1989 subaru wagon, 1800 5 speed dual-range, throttle body injection. My problem is, a few things. First i replaced the thermostat, and the radiator(old one was missing fins, flushed engine, before ever driving it. The last owner replaced timming belts cap, rotor button, wires, plugs, coil asembly and bunch other things, said it had a couple of problems, ran a little warm and missed a little. The thermo was stuck almost closed. Got it together and ran like a scaulded dog,i was eating stangs with it. I went to "play" down this little "non state owned" road aganist a big ford truck, i had him, hit a small bump, and then engine started missing like a timming belt had broke, wouldnt even pull 30 mph.I checked belts, good shape and really new. in time also....but now it wouldnt even start. I removed the disty bolts and turned the disty untill my friendstarted it, it was almost a 1/4 turn out. Ran good agatn, drove home, turned off. next day, wouldnt start untill i un timed it back to normal, went to pull out and it did it again, pulled cap off and noticed i could turn disty button about a 1/4 turn by hand and it not come back, is the optical disty susposed to do that? any ideas what problem i have or how to fix it? I have to get it going asap! please help.

Check to see if the pin is sheared in the drive gear ,used to be a prob in older cars. Good luck

Hi,

I once had a similar problem with my 6 when someone put my dist cap on wrong and tried to start it. It took me forever to figure out, but the tell all is to hold the rotor and try to turn the gear on the bottom of the dist. Basically what had happened to mine was the rotor jammed and the center screw loosened and rounded the optical wheel. The thing would readjust itself ever so often and kill the timing. Another thing you might check the maf and make sure the connector is tight.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Hi,

I once had a similar problem with my 6 when someone put my dist cap on wrong and tried to start it. It took me forever to figure out, but the tell all is to hold the rotor and try to turn the gear on the bottom of the dist. Basically what had happened to mine was the rotor jammed and the center screw loosened and rounded the optical wheel. The thing would readjust itself ever so often and kill the timing. Another thing you might check the maf and make sure the connector is tight.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Thanks, that was the problem. but it is still running alittle warm while driving uphill,i figgure it isjust a little out of time, thanks again