Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oh, great and wise Subi-folk... enlighten me!

I had a flange on the exhaust system of my 96 Legacy 2.2 MT repaired at Midas just before I left for a cross-country trip. Midas said my cats were fine then. During the trip my CEL came on and off a few times, then stayed on. I gave Carter Subaru a lot of money to find out it was the cats setting off the CEL. A few days later the light turned off by itself and has stayed off.

But! Now I am getting 21 mpg city instead of my old 26 mpg city. The car seems to be lacking power, too.

Could the cats have gone really bad? Would that make my milage drop and the car seem sluggish?

How much should it cost to get a new exhaust system? Carter Subaru wants $2300, Williams Subaru wanted $1200, Midas says they can do it for $800. I haven't called Smart Service yet.

wanted to add to my previous note.....a bad fuel pump (or one that isn't working as well as it should be) will cause problems like this too....

Also, if you put a new "Y" pipe on (where the cat is) replace the rest of the exhaust too. A cat can disintegrate (did I spell that right) and plug up the rest of the exhaust system.... then you spent all that money and the car will still run like @#$%

Matt