Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drive line and Crossmember Q's

Alright. Sorry for bugging you all about this. My car (4wd 3AT 83 SUBE GL) is getting worse and the only thing hold me back are getting a driveline, clutch pack, and crossmember. I just round up the pedals, tranny, console, shifter, 4wd lever (and bracket, GD), and clutch cable.

I searched the forums for about 20 mins and couldn't find out what crossmember and driveline to use for my 1983 3AT to 4spd D/R conversion. My car already has the 3.9 Rear Diff also.

Thanks. [HTi]Johnson

P.S. I will be making a very detailed "How to..." manual on the conversion. If my camera man doesn't flake out.

I *think* your driveline is the right one. I don't recall there being a difference between auto and stick drivelines on the EA81. If there is, I have a manual one here - needs a u-joint, but should be fine otherwise.

Talking to Turbone, I do recall that the leading rod plates as well as the cross-member are different, so you'll have to find both. I have that stuff too.

I think I can hook you up if you can toss a few $$ my way - just for my time. If you come up here we can pull the parts.

I have a complete good clutch and flywheel in my garage - just checked. I would reccomend a new disc tho. This one is worn down a bit. Would get you moving tho.

GD

I'll be doing a full write-up with pics as well. If I remember correctly here's what I've gathered:

Physical changes - need to cut shifter hole in floor larger, need the 4WD linkage bracket welded/bolted/etc into place, need to bypass the starter lock-out (this is what makes it so you dont accidently try and start your car when your in gear)

PARTS: (from 4spd dual-range car)

4spd Dual-range + linkage

Tranny X-member, mounts, and the tranny-to-mount brackets

Pedal cluster

clutch cable

speedo cable

flywheel

clutch/press-plate

3.9 Rearend

4WD linkage bracket (spot welded to tranny tunnel on the interior of the cab)

the rubber boot for the stick/4WD linkage

metal bracket that holds down said boot

4WD center console

Driveline*

*I have both, but will try using the automatic driveline to see if it'll work

OPTIONAL: Hill-holder equipment from an 82+ GL 4WD

I miss anything?

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -