Ultimate Subaru Message Board

steering colum swap yaaaaay!!

well im trying to make my 80 DL hatchback slightly more enjoyable to drive, so ive takin a few "goodies" from my 82 GL wagon to do it. i dont know if this has been covered but here ya go, if anyone else wants to do this.

ok the main things, i swaped out the cyclops light/grill, and the steering column with TILT. :D

1.) the kick a $$ grill and cyclops eye. well the turn signals and the grill took a little effort to get on but a little grinding and a little widening of some holes and it went right in, unfortunately, some of the holeds dont line up but enough do so that its still strong. as for the cyclops eye i had to cut off the center brace that goes vertically in front of the radiator. and then it bolted right up.

2.) the front shocks/springs. yessss! three inch adjustables.

and 3.) the steering wheel/column with TILT STEERING BABY!! . I dont know about all yall out there but i can sure fly arround in the dessert easier when the steering wheel isnt like a VW busses.

this was a direct swap as well. but the only thing you need to swap over is the blinker/hazard controls as my plugs were different. and MABY the ignition if ya want. ALSO be sure to grab the rubber seal down at the fire wall because the holes were off by about a 1/4 inch. boy now im happy!!

AND now, presenting the question!!! the GL has a nicer dash and obviously a nicer guage cluster. im pretty sure the dashes will swap but does any one know how i can hook up the differeent cluster. i found one thread regarding this but there was nothing about the wiring. so if anyone out there wants to help, i'll be more than happy to be happy about it. thanks

tyler j

hm, i'm guessing that the DL doesn't have a tachometer and the GL does. That might be the most interesting part to add. as far as the rest of what the dash displays, it's probably a matter of changing sensors and either adding to the existing wiring harness or completely changing the wiring harness for the different or additonal gauges. I want to do the same thing to my DL brat later on as well as add power locks and windows. yes, they're easy to reach in a brat, but i want them simply because I don't have them :P tilt steering you say? hmmm....

exactly, but it also i believe it has a few more guages, and the speedometer is straight, unlike mine, which is like a half moon, all curely. :grin: and it also looks a lot nicer, its got a clock nad some other stuff.

but thats it, its only the dash thats different, so could i change out the wiring harness on the inside of the firewall and plug that all up or would it affect other stuff?

or could i just add a few more wires and hot wire it?

or i could just patch my grand canyon dash, and add a whole bunch of aftermarket guages to make up for it.

i dunno, gimme options,

thanks,

tyler j