Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am thinking purchasing a new 2005 Outback. I see that there are 2 engines available with the same horsepower (a turbo 4 and a 6). I would appreciate any thoughts as to the relative merits (and demerits) of each engine.

thanks....ralph

I am thinking purchasing a new 2005 Outback. I see that there are 2 engines available with the same horsepower (a turbo 4 and a 6). I would appreciate any thoughts as to the relative merits (and demerits) of each engine.

thanks....ralph

hmm....dont know much about it, but i would imagine that the turbo 4 is better for the speed and acceleration whereas the 6 is better for pulling.

Six cylinder has better throttle response, potentially better economy, MUCH better sound track. Engine will last a long time.

Four cylinder turbo will have more torque, as soon as the turbo is spooled up, meaning from 2500rpm it should shove along nicely. This engine is likely to weigh slightly less, which would given a more even handling balance. This engine is likely to have head gasket issues - unless the block is total a redesign.

Even so, you must compare the suspension set ups to judge handling fairly, and I would suspect that Subaru reckons that H6 owners want a smoother ride, and turbo owners want better body control.

I would choose the H6, no matter the suspension bias. There is nothing that can compete with the smooth silken sound of a boxer six.....

he means the sound of the engine, have you ever heard a Boxer 6? beautiful, just beautiful.

I guess I need to get down the dealer and listen to one... The only cars with a tone that could bring a tear to my eye were filled with a fast revving high horse power 302 or 351. There's something that brings out that little boy in me when I fire up a supercharged 5.0 pushing over 400hp and the throttle response is instantanious... stabbing the throttle a couple times from an idle, then letting her settle back down and hearing that tale tell whistling of the supercharger just teasing you into grabbing 2nd and laying down a patch of rubber for about 300 yards.

hummm... back to work.