Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So, I just blew the motor in my Turbo Wagon....

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sandman

sandman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Pocatello

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:05 PM

It overheated for some reason (oil and water were fine) that I have not investigated yet. But looking at the oil out the exaust the really bad blowby and the knocking and no oil pressure, I say its dead.

So what can I swap into it? Can I use a non turbo motor and swap my turbo stuff onto it? I know the compression is higher so knocking would be a concern. I could fight that with good gas and timing. Do I need the same thing or are there other options?

Sorry for the newb questions but I do not have too much experience with Subaru's. I do know that I want to keep the car. Its too much fun too drive. :)

Its a '87 GL10 Wagon, Turbo, 4 wheel drive, manual.

Thanks.

#2 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:29 PM

if you drive the F out of it like i did...you will get about 24k miles out of a 9.5:1 turbo set up like I did. Otherwise...93 gas and about 15 deg of timing will get you close to 30 MPGs with a MT, and driving it "normally"

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:24 PM

You could try using a carb block, which is between the two extremes. Turbo is 7.7, carb is 8.5, and SPFI is 9.5....

GD

#4 sandman

sandman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Pocatello

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:43 PM

Theres a carb engine in the yard here I believe in the same year of car. Do you just have to change the intakes over or is there more to it?

Thanks for the info. I see nothing wrong with more compression. :brow:

#5 JWX

JWX

Lonely driver

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • Atlanta

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:51 PM

you've got to change the heads out.

#6 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:02 PM

be sure to check for cracks going into the ports, cause you overheated it.

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:23 PM

Theres a carb engine in the yard here I believe in the same year of car. Do you just have to change the intakes over or is there more to it?

Thanks for the info. I see nothing wrong with more compression. :brow:

YOu have to change pretty much everything except the T-belt tensioners and the oil pump.

But if you have it torn down that far, you should replace/rebuild them anyway.

I am in the iddle of doing this exact thing right now.. just stripped the carb block last night and will be cleaning and prepping for reassembly tonight

Miles Fox has also done this with apparent success

#8 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 16 August 2004 - 07:05 PM

one thing that always made me nervous about using a junkyard carb motor, is that they usually run fat, all the time, which washes the walls of oil, and CAN make the rings last... less long.
what about the na mpfi, i think that block is the same as carb compression, right?

#9 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,946 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:18 AM

the easiest thing to throw in there (besides another turbo engine) would be a N/A MPFI engine as I believe the wiring and computer are the same. you might keep an eye out for one of those...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users