Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I just blew the motor in my Turbo Wagon....

It overheated for some reason (oil and water were fine) that I have not investigated yet. But looking at the oil out the exaust the really bad blowby and the knocking and no oil pressure, I say its dead.

So what can I swap into it? Can I use a non turbo motor and swap my turbo stuff onto it? I know the compression is higher so knocking would be a concern. I could fight that with good gas and timing. Do I need the same thing or are there other options?

Sorry for the newb questions but I do not have too much experience with Subaru's. I do know that I want to keep the car. Its too much fun too drive. :)

Its a '87 GL10 Wagon, Turbo, 4 wheel drive, manual.

Thanks.

if you drive the F out of it like i did...you will get about 24k miles out of a 9.5:1 turbo set up like I did. Otherwise...93 gas and about 15 deg of timing will get you close to 30 MPGs with a MT, and driving it "normally"

Theres a carb engine in the yard here I believe in the same year of car. Do you just have to change the intakes over or is there more to it?

Thanks for the info. I see nothing wrong with more compression. :brow:

YOu have to change pretty much everything except the T-belt tensioners and the oil pump.

But if you have it torn down that far, you should replace/rebuild them anyway.

I am in the iddle of doing this exact thing right now.. just stripped the carb block last night and will be cleaning and prepping for reassembly tonight

Miles Fox has also done this with apparent success

one thing that always made me nervous about using a junkyard carb motor, is that they usually run fat, all the time, which washes the walls of oil, and CAN make the rings last... less long.

what about the na mpfi, i think that block is the same as carb compression, right?