Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speedometer Head Photo? 99OBW, Auto, 2.5 DOHC

If I order a speedometer head for my 1999 OBW, is this what the speedometer head looks like (behind the dash instrument cluster)? Or does the speedo head attach to this part? I'd like some comfirmation before I order a new speedo head.

F-AN27Jw0bt2zg4EEhEGDb4.JPG

The speedometer head is immediately behind the area of the instrument cluster that is shown in that image. Remove the five screws that you see, remove the bezel (clear plastic cover and plastic piece that the MIL etc. shine through) on the other side, and the speedo head should come right out.

Thanks, 99OBW, you've come through with the info my son needs to install the speedo head. It seems to be an easy enough installation--once the dash is removed! Another question: Will the car's mileage reading drop down to zero once the new speedo head is installed? From what I recall from a previous post, yours did. Thanks again for your help!

I hope you don't literally plan on removing the dash!!! Just the cluster. Yes, it (mileage) will drop to zero.
Thanks for the correction. I meant removing the part of the dash behind the steering wheel, which, I assume is the cluster. (My son has removed the cluster twice, so a third time should be the charm--I hope!)