Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turbo exhaust question?

My kids turbo cp is starting to aquire several exhaust leaks, one most notably on the down pipe before turbo. So I'm planning on fixing this but with performance in mind what should be done? larger dia. pipe? I'm thinkin no cat for sure! how about the piece from head to turbo, I'm not totally up on the turbo thing so I need some sound advise.

If Wyoming has emissions laws, you'll need to put a cat on there. Generally speaking, with a turbo car you want a large diameter exhaust, back pressure really isnt needed. On my drag XT, I made a downpipe out of 3" pipe from a truck exhaust, and run that DP right into a drag muffler. Opening up the exhaust also makes the car sound great.

the up pipe. changing the diameter of this pipe may not be necessary or effective (not 100% sure) what will help is to make the two pipes enter into a collector evenly as opposed to the way it tis now, where the passenger side exhaust enters the pipe perpendicular, thus disrupting flow and probably causing turbulence. mandrel bends are always good too. making the pipes equal length to the collector will probably help too. if you have the cash, get in on that TWE order in here. as for the down pipe, 2.5 in will probably be plenty and if a cat must be used, place it down stream a bit.

here in this part of ohio we do not have emission laws, i left the pipe on from the motor and i call it a big foot ball and had it cleaned out but left the shell on , and 2in pipe all the way back and a turbo muffler , it will make the motor run cooler and more hp but alittle tint sound not bad , ngk plugs, 8mm wires, acell coil, k-n filter