Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Impreza... Diagnosis problem?!!

My husband owns a 2000 Subaru Impreza with 55,000 miles, and for the past month and a half, the check engine light has been lit. The engine sounds like it's going to die. it's coughing and hacking; and sounds like it's going to stall. When you step on the gas, nothing happens for a couple of seconds, and then the car picks up speed all of a sudden. I swear, it feels like the gas is not getting to the engine.

We've brought it in to 3 different mechanics, and each time, something different is replaced, the car will run ok (not fine, but not as bad as it was) for a week, and the problem will return.

the check engine light has started flashing this past week, and we're really concerned because no-one seems to know what is wrong. Suggestions range from the idle valve to the knock sensor. I've read somewhere that the solenoid is a problem with this type of car, but the thing has been replaced twice in the last year.

We're going out of our minds; every time we pay for repairs we think the problem is fixed, and two days later it comes back worse than ever.

Please help!!!

My husband owns a 2000 Subaru Impreza with 55,000 miles, and for the past month and a half, the check engine light has been lit. The engine sounds like it's going to die. it's coughing and hacking; and sounds like it's going to stall. When you step on the gas, nothing happens for a couple of seconds, and then the car picks up speed all of a sudden. I swear, it feels like the gas is not getting to the engine.

We've brought it in to 3 different mechanics, and each time, something different is replaced, the car will run ok (not fine, but not as bad as it was) for a week, and the problem will return.

the check engine light has started flashing this past week, and we're really concerned because no-one seems to know what is wrong. Suggestions range from the idle valve to the knock sensor. I've read somewhere that the solenoid is a problem with this type of car, but the thing has been replaced twice in the last year.

We're going out of our minds; every time we pay for repairs we think the problem is fixed, and two days later it comes back worse than ever.

Please help!!!

First thing would be to have someone pull the code. A fault code is stored (pointing to a defective system or sensor) everytime a CEL is lit. A flashing CEL denotes a fault that could damage the catalytic converter on the long run.

I'm going through the invoices from the repair shop:

08/05/04 - code# PO328 - the guy replaced the knock sensor

08/02/04 - code# PO328 knock sensor, code# PO442 evap small leak, code# PO130 oxygen sensor

the O2 sensor was replaced in December 2003

A flashing CEL usually means a cylinder misfire. Pull the plugs out and inspect/replace them. I would also possibly change the fuel filter if that has not been done.

Is this a 2.2L or a 2.5L engine?

Kevin

Kevin, it is a 2.5L engine

• 6 months later...

Did you have any luck with this? I am having similar problems with my 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. Dealer replaced the O2 sensor and the ignition wires (PO170, PO304, PO302, PO301).

Now two months later I am getting a PO130 (non-dealer this time) which is the O2 sensor again. I'd rather avoid taking it back to the dealer because I've had lousy service and I need this fixed ASAP. I'm thiking there has to be a bigger issue here that is causing multiple O2 sensor failures, but I don't know what it is...

Any advice?

my friend that works at the dealer said soemthing to he tune of that meaning that the cats are bad, he said that the o2 sensors dont usually go bad. my y2k impreza pops the cat below threshhold code avery few months, i bought a scanner and just clear it.

usually when the light is flashing, it means that there is iminant danger to the engine, like a dead misfire, or excessive knock, ect....

good luck.

Always keep in mind that any particular code, (e.g. knock sensor) always implies (although it does not specifically state) the inclusion of ALL wiring & connectors associated with that sensor.

Faulty knock sensor means that the sensor could be fine but the local harness connector to the knock sensor or the remote harness connector to the ECU may be faulty and /or corroded, or that the harness itself may have a pinch, break, or short at some point.