Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with buying a 2000 outback

I found a 2000 limited outback wagon with 55,000 miles on it. They are asking $12,500 for it. Auto. trans. nice wagon. It is at a used car dealership. What are some things that I should look for, listen for and anything else that would be helpful to tell is this is a good buy? They don't have a mechanic that works there, so do you think I should take it to a trained mechanic to inspect it before I buy it? Also, is there anything that needs to be replaced soon with a 55,000 mile outback. Thanks a lot for your time!

On that model the timing belt does not need to be done until 105,000 miles. I believe that 2000 is the first year without problems with the 2.5l head gaskets (correct me if I am wrong)

Spark plug change interval is 30,000 miles...so i'd probably get a tuneup, change all fluids, and other basic things right away...just basic junk.

2000 is the first year of the phase2 2.5l in the legacy line, but you might want to check for external headgasket leak on the driver side rear cylinder. When you take it for a ride i'd do some tight turns to see if there is any sign of torque bind, and make sure the tires look even.

2000 also has the smaller brake rotors, so you might want to do some ~50-0 braking to make sure you don't get any shake.

Might also look to make sure the valve covers and the timing belt cover aren't leaking any oil. You can pull the spark plug cable off and see if there is any oil on it. Not real major stuff, but may you could get them to knock some money off of it.

Like mattocs said, I'd do a 60k mi. tuneup if you pick it up (do a search for items to change).

Good luck.

I found a 2000 limited outback wagon with 55,000 miles on it. They are asking $12,500 for it. Auto. trans. nice wagon. It is at a used car dealership. What are some things that I should look for, listen for and anything else that would be helpful to tell is this is a good buy? They don't have a mechanic that works there, so do you think I should take it to a trained mechanic to inspect it before I buy it? Also, is there anything that needs to be replaced soon with a 55,000 mile outback. Thanks a lot for your time!

Always have an independent mechanic check a vehicle you are buying. Preferable a shop that specializes in Subaru's. Even if they had an in-house mechanic do you think they are going to tell you if anything is wrong with it?

Thanks for all of the help everyone, keep it coming. Do you guys think that $12,500 sounds like a good price? Also, I don't think I'm going to be able to have it checked out by a mechanic before buying it, so I'm going to have to do the detailed inspection myself. Is is tough to get the spark plug cable off? It is quite a ways away to get there. Thanks again

$12,500 seems about right. Find some things (dings, dents, etc) that you can get them to lower the price because of.

I've never done the sparkplugs in my cars...I think you have to remove the washer fluid reservoir to get to the one...but its not to bad to do it yourself.

YUP CHECK FOR EXTERNAL HEADGASKET LEAKS THAT IS THE YEAR OF THEM STARTING TO LEAK BECAUSE OF THE HEAD NOT BEINGH TORQUED TO FACTORY SPECS MY UNCLE OWNED A 2000 OUTBACK AND IT STARTED TO LEAK ANTIFREEZE AND HE CALLED ME AT THE DEALERSHIP AND I TOLD HIM TO BRING IT UP FOR US TO CHECK AND YUP, HEADGASKET LEAKING. PRIMARILY ON DRIVERS SIDE I HAVE SEEN QUITE OFTEN SO ANYWAYS HAD THE HEADGASKETS DONE UNDER WARRANTY OK NOW. 2000 WAS A FLUENT PROBLEM FOR DRIPPY HEADGASKETS SO CHECK IT OUT GOOD LUCK

Thanks chadwick, could you tell me exactly where to look for a headgasket leak. Will there be oil and or antifreeze visible on the engine (like if I run my finger over it, it will come off?) or will there be a leak on the ground. Also, how much would a headgasket run me with labor? Also, while i'm here, how much would a 60,000 mile service run me? I called a dealer and they told me $800, that sounds a bit high to me, but? Once again, thanks for your time.

The Phase II engines were used beginning in 1999 for Foresters so we share the same engine. External leaks are not nearly as severe as the internal variety.

Make sure you check for any open recalls on the vehicles, especially for the external HG leaks. If you have this service performed, Subaru will extend its warranty to 100K miles. This recall entails adding a bottle of stop leak into the radiator, which seems to be doing the trick according to my trusted private Subaru mechanic in VT. Subaru also recommends that you add a bottle of this stuff every time the coolant is replaced.

$800 is way too much for a 60K-mile tune-up. It would cost you less than $100 for the parts, coolant, and oil to do the service yourself. I suggest that as a part of the 60K service recall, you flush and refill the cooling system before you take it in for the cooling system recall service, if this service hasn't already been performed. Valves are an audial inspection at 60K so if they're not tapping, then you're good to go.

You can get a tune-up kit at www.1stsubaruparts.com for about $40. Kit includes:

oil filter + drain plug crush washer

fuel filter

spark plugs

It's really not that much work and the owner's manual has instructions for all these services. Only thing to keep in mind is that you should remove the thermostat when flushing the cooling system. If you are so inclined, all these maintenance items are quite easy to perform with fairly basic tools if you are so inclined. Good luck.